Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2017
I bought this to help my 4 year old, Harry, who loves dinosaurs, prepare for school. He loves the book, and it's a great story. Can't ask for more than that
on 30 March 2017
I bought this book to maybe help my little boy with anxiety over starting school. It's ok as a story but parts are a bit odd.
on 27 April 2017
Bought as a present little boy loved it.
on 26 April 2016
A great book - good for all dinosaur lovers & new school/ pre-school attendees!
on 19 July 2017
Great condition
on 20 September 2011
I liked this book. It has lovely illustrations (as do all the Harry series) and shows Harry as he starts at school with new friends. He has a tiff with his sister (nice that they leave these details in) and cycles to school - good eco touch! I felt the rules they have may clash with rules at each readers new school and as such may be a little misleading. However they but are welcome in that they explain there will be *some* rules Harry assumes there are no buckets of dinos allowed in class but in fact the teacher is very happy for them to come in). It positively helps show how calmer kids can have empathy and show other, more scared children, some things about school e.g. where the toilets are on the first day. I generally felt that this is a gentle introduction to a first day at school.
on 31 October 2007
Ian Whybrow's Harry and the dinosaurs/robots series is hugely successful. Here he takes the well-loved character from small anxiety (caused as always by his big sister) about starting school, through the first day there. Harry likes his teacher, finds his peg to hang his coat on, helps a little boy who is more scared than he is and makes a new friend in so doing. A simple, positive story about a real and important experience in most children's lives.

As adults we often want to tell children that "everything will be alright, don't worry". If they have genuine worries this approach dismisses their fears rather than helping them feel understood and supporting them to find solutions. In reading this book with my little boy it gave us chance to talk about what he was looking forward to in starting school and what he might be a little bit scared about. Hearing about how Harry ultimately enjoyed himself was very encouraging.

We read the book repeatedly in the run-up to starting school. By the time he got to the gates he'd forgotten all about his previously expressed anxieties and ran off into the mêlée. After a few days of being there we re-read the story (and still do from time to time) and my son spoke quite authoritatively that there is nothing to worry about in school. That in itself was quite an interesting learning experience about the nature of fear compared to real experience ...!
on 2 August 2013
Little one Loves Dinosaurs and watches Harry & his Bucket so as he was a little nervous about starting school I had read some other reviews about this book, seems to have done the trick! Only gave 4 stars as there was no school uniforms but really is great little book for dino mad boy with pre school nerves!
on 8 September 2014
My kids absolutely love Harry and the dinosaurs and this book is no exception. I read it to my oldest over and over before he started school. If your kids are fans, this is a must, although I do think that the collection of stories are better value.
on 11 May 2015
My son of 4 loves the "Harry and the Dinosaurs" stories and as he will start school in September this book was perfect for him. Harry finds a new friend who is really upset to go to school but the dinosaurs save the day.