Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 30 May 2012
I realy enjoyed this book. It feels like an honest account of Paddy's life and it is interesting to get a perspective on Traveller life at the same time.
The book is humourous but at times deepy moving. Paddy's account of the death of his son is incredibly raw and shockingly detailed.
It's easy to dislike Travellers and I know many people who do. There is a criminal element to Traveller society, but then we have plenty of criminals of our own too.
Paddy describes a way of life that is hundreds of years old but is struggling to survive in modern times. Traveller culture is certainly not perfect and Paddy does not shy away from describing it honestly. Through recent TV shows like Gypsy Weddings and Big Brother, Paddy enjoys representing his community and feels that it is important that "country folk" get a chance to see what Travellers are really like.
These TV shows are a double edged sword and not all the publicity is good. Overall however I think Paddy should be proud of himself. I am far more open minded towards Travellers now than I was two or three years ago.
on 9 October 2013
i ran out of pinches of salt!!
but its the true essence of a good story, told as well as possible! i can imagine it was a difficult
filtering process for the ghost writer! a very gritty narration of one mans life so far, and its not over yet!
on 24 May 2012
I've bought and read a few Gypsy autobiography's - Bartley Gorman ( fantastic read ), Jimmy Stockins ( Poor read ), Billy Cribb ( even poorer read ) so when Paddy released his book I didn't think twice about buying it. I have to say in all honesty I wasn't disappointed at all. This bloke has gone through quite a lot in his life - Growing up with his grandparents but thinking they were actually his own parents until he was about 12, being bullied at school constantly, loosing numerous babies to a rare genetic disorder, his first son killed in a car crash. That's quite a lot to put up with, as well as the constant danger of being a well known bare-knuckle fighter. I knew of Paddy Doherty long before Big Fat Gypsy weddings and Big Brother came about, and I had a lot of respect for him - even more so now I know a little more about his life. Buy this book, I promise you wont regret it and may even be slightly surprised at how enthralling it is.
on 31 May 2014
I enjoyed reading this book though there was a lot of fighting and a bit to much details of the injuries for my liking , but I suppose Paddy just wanted you to get the full mental picture . But Paddy is a gentleman he is a fair man and above all and honest man he didn't leave anything out . He adores his family word hard for them , laughed and cried with them . And was a broken man at the death of so many of his beloved children . I have so much respect for Paddy Doherty I think he is a dyeing bred . sadly there r few gentleman left today . I wish u luck Paddy Doherty
on 9 July 2015
What an eye opener! I was doubtful if i should buy this as i thought it would be i fought him,him,etc. But what a well written book. Paddy tells it how it is. Straight to the point. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad. It had me hooked from 1st page.
on 2 July 2012
Couldn't,t wait for this book to arrive, when it did I read about 100 pages then the next time I picked it up I couldn't,t put it down and read it all the way to the end, it did bring a few tears to my eyes at certain points but well worth it, all in all a great book and can,t wait for a second book to be published as a follow on, it is now working its way through my family getting read by them and I know they will enjoy it as much as I have. To everyone else buy this book you won,t regret it at all it is well worth the money....
on 28 June 2013
The one and only criticism I have, is the ghost writer has used too much of his/her own language, instead of paddys. The way it's written is clearly not how paddy speaks. Other than that, I learned a lot about him, and wow! What a life. God bless him, and God rest his passed children.
on 29 January 2014
I had this book in my wish list for quite a while before I purchased it! I was enthralled and captured by the book within the first few pages!!
It kept me entertained and read it within a day.
It was full of emotion which moved me tears.
It was full of full grit and real life, which I cannot even imagine.
Absolutely brilliant book and I'm disappointed the story ended.
on 29 June 2012
Really enjoyed this book, understand how much they are family orientated. Paddy had a tough upbringing but made the most of it and became a good husband and father. I am not sure fighting is a good idea but that is their way of solving disputes. I also read the gypsy dressmaker Thelma's book so that has given me more insight into their way of life.
on 2 April 2013
What a fantastic book it's got every thing you would expect what a hard life paddy had very sad some times and some really happy times . Who would I recommend this book to ? Any one it's that good what a man paddy is fair play to him and I'd wish him and his family all the best and a peaceful life