Customer reviews

Haphazard by Starlight: A Poem a Day from Advent to Epiphany
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2016
An interesting and helpful book for Lent reading and through to Epiphany. Janet analyses a seasonal poem for each day and reflects on the message. My only disappointment was that I expected more biblical content in the reflections rather than a predominantly literary analysis. However, I enjoyed the journey through the season and was introduced to poems I had not previously read.
on 4 January 2015
A lovely and unusual twist on the Advent Calendar theme ... one poem a day through the season of Advent, with notes and thoughts by Janet Morley on each poem, and the poet as well. Never didactic, she merely explains and guides, leaving you to find your own meanings. Nor do you have to be a Christian to enjoy this book and find it useful ... I'm an atheist, but I both enjoyed it and learned a lot from it, which surprised me. Highly recommended for everyone with an interest in poetry.
on 17 January 2017
I wanted an advent read......This was a good choice! The poems are lovely and mostly I enjoyed the commentary.
on 21 January 2017
Enjoyed the poems, not their explanation! Poetry speaks to us all differently, as does God.
on 19 January 2015
Arrived promptly. A really lovely book. It inspired me to write my own poetry. Very much enjoyed the analysis of the poetry styles as well as the variety of poetry used to prepare for Christmas during Advent.
on 3 December 2016
Contains some wonderful poems and I am enjoying my journey through Advent reading 1 of them every morning.
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2014
Distilled delight to get you through Advent and Christmas. Fantastic selection of largely contemporary poetry with insightful comment every day.
on 2 December 2016
I am really enjoying this collection of poetry, particularly the reflection/commentary which goes with each poem.
on 12 May 2015
I have always loved Janet Morleys Poetry from the time of having a much earlier book, whose name I have forgotten!
on 8 July 2014
A book which I am sure will be greatly appreciated as I come to the reflective time of Advent.