Handbook of Hypnotic Suggestions and Metaphors Hardcover – 21 Nov 1990
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
D. Corydon Hammond, Ph.D., ABPH, is past president and a fellow of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH), which honored him with a Presidential Award of Merit in 1989. He also received the ASCH Irving I. Secter Award in 1990 and the Thomas P. Wall Award for Excellence in Teaching of Clinical Hypnosis in 1994. He is Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Co-director of the Sex and Marital Therapy Clinic at the University of Utah School of Medicine. He has written six books, including the Handbook of Hypnotic Suggestions and Metaphors. He coordinated a national task force on hypnosis and memory and is the primary author of Clinical Hypnosis and Memory: Guidelines for Clinicians and for Forensic Hypnosis and of ASCH's Standards of Training in Clinical Hypnosis.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I regularly consult this book when working with clients and have found it to be invaluable. There's a great technique for Arthritis that works a treat in here, to mention but one.
I am incredibly pleased with this book and think it's worth every penny I paid for it. I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for a good reference book with scripts and information about various problems you'll encounter.
That hypnosis may "stop someone smoking in one hour"...
That hypnotherapy is the use of "hypnosis" in a therapeutic way...
But what actually is hypnosis?
This book helps to continue the "search" for a definitive answer because even the experts can't agree on a definition...
It's a bit like attempting to define addiction - everyone intuitively knows addiction exists - and that's about as far as the consensus reaches...
The handbook of hypnotic suggestions and metaphors is a very large book - over 600 pages and 100 contributors from the world of clinical hypnotherapy - which differs a little from the "average lay hypnotist" as this is Doctors, Dentists, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers etc who use hypnosis as part of their job...
I actually reckon all language is hypnotic and some people are more skilled at suggestion and persuasion than others - ever bought something you didn't even "know" you needed until you went shopping...
Anyway, I am a psychotherapist / weight loss specialist / addiction specialist and a few other things and have been studying and using hypnosis for about 10 years and this is a very helpful book for many reasons...
Firstly, if you disregard the "need to be a Dr / Ph.D" etc and "a clinical practitioner already" and read the introduction - then just read the book at whatever part interests you and see what happens.
This is a reference book that is meant to enhance your knowledge and confidence in using hypnotic language to help people "get better" and one of the downsides of "professionalism" is there is more than one way to get better and sometimes "orthodox" doesn't work.Read more ›
Some of the sections are: pain management, self-esteem, anxiety, hypnosis for cancer patients, hypnosis for sleep disorders, hypnosis for addictions, weight loss, academic performance, and hypnosis for children.
While I do not recommend that you necessarily use the scripts verbatim as they are written, this book may serve as an invaluable resource for ideas and possible suggestions to help you in your work as hypnotherapist.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Just what I need for my practice and the book was in great condition.Published 28 days ago by Amazon Customer
A massive collection of examples of how other professionals use suggestion & metaphor as part of hypnotic interventions. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Gadgetman
It was exactly as described, securely sent (it's a very heavy book) & arrived within their stated timePublished 10 months ago by Alison Bruce
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Hypnotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Hypnosis
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Psychology Textbooks