Handbook of Digital Games Hardcover – 9 May 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
The broad overview of the field and the varied perspectives different chapters offer are valuable summaries of the state of the art in video game research. Both graduate students starting their research work and professional developers can benefit from this wide–ranging appraisal. (Computing Reviews, 10 June 2015)
From the Back Cover
A thorough discussion of the present and future of digital gaming
People play digital games for many reasons, from entertainment to professional training, but all games share the same basic characteristics. From those basic parameters, gaming professionals manage to create the enormous variety of games on the market today. The Handbook of Digital Games explores the many considerations and variables involved in game creation, including gaming techniques and tools, game play, and game design and development.
A team of recognized gaming experts from around the world shares their thoughts on the different aspects of game creation, providing readers with a deep understanding and insider perspective on the cross–disciplinary aspects of the industry. The fundamentals are discussed, but the emphasis is on emerging theory and technology with topics including:
- Player experience and immersion, including emotion
- Automatic content generation and storytelling techniques
- Collaboration and social information exchange
- Game aesthetics
- Simulation of game play and crowds
- Collision detection
- Networking issues such as synchronization
The book also includes retrospective and ontological examinations of gaming, as well as discussions about mobile game play, spatial game structures, and education–centric gaming. In–game advertising, gender stereotyping, and independent game production are also considered. The Handbook of Digital Games is a robust compilation of the latest information across the entire industry, and a major resource for any gaming professional.See all Product description
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > PC & Video Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering