Customer reviews

on 1 December 2014
I do not have time to ready many works of fiction these days but when I do I am selective. I was not disappointed with Miss Kvilhaug's work. I found it both informative and strangely mystical. Clearly the author knows her subject well and was able to use to medium of fiction to convey a wide breadth of knowledge not only of Germanic pre-xtian culture but that of the closely related Baltic and Slavic peoples, being fellow Indo-Europeans. I particularly enjoyed her comparison of the Germanic Thor with His Balto-Slavo counterpart Perkons/Peron as I am a devotee of Thunaraz myself. There is an extremely useful glossary of names of peoples, divinities and places with accompanying maps. A man could not have written this book. It needed the sensitivity of a woman. Don't buy this book if you are expecting mere juvenile swordplay. This is far deeper than that. I look forward to purchasing and reading Book Two.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2017
I enjoyed the first volume very much, a wonderful way to learn about the real Vikings: their culture, their customs, mentality, beliefs, social structure. A great read and food for thought. I'd recommend it to parents of young girls as an inspiring read - and of course to the girls themselves and any woman who is searching for a solid identity in this changing world. Especially if you're sick and tired of the patriarchal ideal of a pleasing woman, who puts her man first and herself last!
on 8 October 2014
This historical novel is an excellent and easy read. I'd give The Hammer of Greatness five stars for the plot and the historical setting. It's a work which sets itself a high literary standard in many ways yet it's an excellent page turner with a refreshingly unbiased attitude to the life and beliefs of the time. It's just a pity that the English does not appear to have been checked by a mother-tongue speaker and some of it is simply not up to literary standards, for example the frequent use of the Ernie Wise style, "what" as in "a play what I wrote". I'm sure those things can be put right in revisions though and meanwhile they are well-worth living with. I couldn't put this down until I'd read it and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those with an interests in the Viking period.
on 6 September 2016
Why this trilogy is not read by all those who love or are fascinated by Norse mythology is beyond me. I highly recommend that all should read anything from Maria Kvilhaug, the ladyofthelabrynth.com
on 31 March 2017
I deeply appreciate all Maria Kvilhaug's precious work. Her Poetic-Stir weaves through me like the liquid ecstasy of Golden mead. Her reminder of Freya's embrace has helped me rem-ember my inner Sun and Roots of the World Tree ~
on 7 January 2016
Review, Bladehoner..
The Hammer of Greatness.
By Maria Kvilhaug.

Reviewed by
Freya Aswynn
I am currently reading a wonderful, the first one of a series.
I received them as a gift from the author.
I got stuck in immediately, wolfing it down.
It is marvellous, well defined character with whom it is easily to identify.
One engages with this book, its an adventure story from one point of view and to be enjoyed as such.But it is so much more, it comes from an al to real past, it is very interesting historically, some things I knew but most of the social set up of the Vikings and their code is fascinatingly new to me. In addition to all that, its full of warrior wisdom teachings reflecting and deepening the understanding of Havamal.
But what is so extra special about this book, is the feminine Mystery teachings. The book celebrates the Goddess Freyja and its Hero behind the scenes is Thor.
This is great, as most Norse fiction centres around Odin or/and Loki.
The author aware or unaware channels an very important aspect of the Norther Traditions namely compassion. Not what one would expect of the Viking Rus.
There is also a tantalising hint of a somewhat LHP occult thread :The Law of Contradiction. Love to know more, especially if it is not made up. And on a very personal note this book has deepened my understanding and connection with the Gods.
All Hail to the Speaker!