Customer reviews

Hamish the Highland Cow
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 September 2016
I bought this book as a present for a boy who was nearly three. It was perfect and he loved the story of Hamish the highland cow who badly needed a haircut after he got all sorts of nasty things stuck in his long hair. It is a great read and the pictures are fun and a good way to show children that having their haircut can be fun.
on 16 September 2017
Beautiful book, wonderful illustration and a charming story. We bought the book to accompany a highland cow teddy, great pairing.
on 19 March 2007
My 2 year old loves this book and loves saying all the smelly words like "poo-wee" and "pong" as children do!! The toffee eating cow needs to get cleaned up so he goes to the hairdressers. It also helps getting over the message about what a hairdresser is and that it is fun. Not having yet to visit one I hope she realises it is a nice place to go. There is a surprise for Hamish at the end and my daughter loves shouting "surprise".
on 19 October 2017
Lovely story and pictures
on 13 August 2011
I bought this book because I wanted my neices in New Zealand and for my own sons to have a bit of Highland Coo fun. Highland Coos are my favourite animal and it serves me right for reading the reviews and not reading the story in the book store. this book is written so badly it just makes no sense what so ever. The Coo has toffee and such stuck in his fur then he gets a hair cut and still gets the toffee he loves so much. It's a simple premise for a story but the way the story gets from the start to finish is all round about and non sensickle and almost borderline insulting to the readers intelligence. It's like someone wanted to write a book and had a hundred ideas but couldn't decide on a story line so they put them all into this story. which maybe says more about the bad editing more than anything. My boys LOVE to read and must have over 100 books in thier book case but this book is the only one that was read once then left on the shelf. My only saving grace is I didn't pay alot. I'm totally heart broken that is book is such a let down.
on 31 March 2011
I bought this for my girlfriend (who is 26 btw) who has a slight obsession with highland cows and she loves it! Sure children will love it or other slightly strange girlfriends.
on 9 May 2017
Meeeh.
This is the most disappointing and boring children's book I've ever read. There is no story or point to it at all. Hamish is dirty and smelly, goes to the hairdressers and gets a cut. There.
Save your money and buy Gruffolo.
on 17 November 2010
I bought this as a gift for a friend's daughter who lives in Tazmania. I wanted her to learn about the highland cows my friend and I grew up with. It is a lovely story and well illustrated! Bright pictures to capture the attention of a toddler. It is a really lovely book!
on 30 October 2006
Hamish the Highland Cow is a gas. I love reading it with my three year old and she never tires of it. Natalie Russell's characters are very catchy and the simple, earthy storyline of Hamish, the toffee-loving cow and his outing to the hairdressers is a bedtime favourite.
on 4 August 2012
Bought to send to Niece in New Zealand. Been told it is her favourite book. I loved the look of the book & the quality of the pictures throughout the book.