Customer reviews

Hairy Maclary: Five Lynley Dodd Stories (Viking Kestrel Picture Books)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 October 2016
We love Hairy Maclary, and in this book you get five stories in a beautiful hard back. We were introduced to Hairy Maclary by my sister-in-law who still has the books she read to her children thirty odd years ago - all I can say is, Hairy Maclary stands the test of time. The stories of Hairy Maclary and his assortment of friends are witty and engaging. There are many children's books which use rhyme, but few which manage the lyrical reiterative, rounded sounds of the Hairy Maclary series. When the children were asked to bring a book into school to share with their school chums, this is the one my daughter picked, and all her friends loved it too.
on 12 November 2015
When my children were tiny we had one of these books with just one poem. I had to read it every night and do special voices and movements. My kids loved it so much they knew all the words and made everyone think they could read! So I bought this larger book for my grandson. But I love it so much I may need to buy another for me! I didn't realise there were more poems! Fantastic and I love the illustrations!
on 7 March 2018
You cant beat Hairy Maclary stories! I had this book for my 14 year old when he was little, bought this from Amazon marketplace for my 3yr old...they love reading out the words and its so easy to follow.
on 10 July 2017
Beautiful. We love Hairy Maclary. Bought this for the extra 4 stories. Very popular with our 15 month old. A board book version may have been even better but I guess it would be too cumbersome then. I am just worried about little fingers ruining it.
on 30 June 2016
My children love Hairy and his friends. I bought this because it was a good price for several stories (the other books are pricier than many other children's books) These stories aren't as funny as the other books we have, but they are entertaining and I love the use of language.
on 8 August 2017
such lovely stories and characters, also great for developing rhyming skills
on 28 March 2014
This book was purchased at the request of my six year old son who had discovered the work of Lynley Dodd at school. I wish I had also discovered this author sooner! The stories (of which there are five) are a joy to read. The rhythm and pace makes them perfect for reading aloud and the characters and story lines are genuinely amusing. I particularly appreciate having five stories all together within this sturdy hardback book.
on 2 December 2017
The favorite book of the whole class and so good for their language development. An absolute winner
on 1 March 2015
I was given one Hairy Maclary book because my dog IS Hairy Maclary in appearance. I just had to have more and this book fills the bill! The rhyme of the stories and the wonderful illustrations will delight children and adults alike. It made me wish my own children were still little so I could read it to them. It deserves to be a classic.
on 26 February 2018
love this book. arrived promptly