Customer reviews

Format: Misc. Supplies|Change

on 8 January 2011
What should have been an excellent tool for inspiring and helping create, turned out to be junk.
I do NOT expect to get a set of dice for inspiring writing Haiku Poetry, only to find words like ANAL, LURID, TORTURE, THUGS, SPAT and OOZING on them. (I kid you not)
There were no words about seasons, colors, smells, or SO much more that could help create and stimulate creative Haiku.
These dice seemed more akin to writing bawdy adult poetry.

Also, every single word die had a blank face - WHY? Just so you could use blank ones to 'fit in around your poem in the box' ?? Total waste of a golden opportunity to include great inspiration.

Very very disappointing.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2010
Haikubes was my CHristmas gift to me! Yesterday - Boxing Day - I unpacked the box and had a good, albeit mind taxing, time trying to 'write' some Haiku. I know that I will get a lot of enjoyment and challenge from Haikubes.

One thing I do think could be improved is the box containg the cubes - two thirds of the cubes were in two 'plastic bags', the other third were loose. The cardboard part of the box seems strong but is not deep enough to hold all the cubes in it without the 'lid' on. However the lid is flimsy and I don't think it will last long. I will probably transfer the cubes to next biscuit tin that becomes empty - and possibly make a bag in which to put the cubes which would be an easy way to shake them up before rolling. (we do that with Scrabble)

Thank you for filling this order for me - it arrived quickly and in good condition.

Margaret.
on 13 October 2014
With only 63 cubes the choice of words is very limited, which makes any attempt at real Haiku almost impossible.
Non-traditional Haiku is, in fact, quite easy to write. The more you experiment the better the results. There are plenty of Haiku books on Amazon which will give you ideas about this poetic form.

"Haiku with Haikubes
Wasted effort
Write your own".
on 16 October 2012
Having purchased these from a book store for my boyfriend, I popped online to read some reviews before opening them and was initially concerned. However, after reading some more on amazon.com (including a review that has a word list) I felt much more re-assured, and have indeed opened them.

Yes, there are some words that could be "inappropriate" for kids, but with some imagination, you can say that "ass" is another word for a donkey (or someone who's a bit of a fool) and "bust" means broken (around here anyway)etc...I think you can work around it.

The cubes all have one blank side, which the leaflet said is for layout in the box (admittedly not a great idea), but I plan on taking my Sharpie pen to them and using the blank sides to add words of our own, which I think is great and versatile.

The cubes themselves are heavy, and feel solid and well made. The box the come in is attractive but probably wont survive with continual use. I'll probably make a cloth bag for them (though a washed out butter tub or something would work just as well!)

I look forward to having these on the coffee table.
on 23 January 2015
Excellent value compared to the general selling price. Always going to be limited as regards the potential number of words available, but a fun way to stimulate interest in this form of poetry.
on 19 December 2013
This is a set that allows you to faithfully stick to the prescribed haiku form, with ease. The resultant poems may need polishing, occasionally, but..... It gives them a superb challenge.
on 9 January 2014
How to pass too much time when you should be doing the things you SHOULD be doing: great fun for all.