on 23 March 2017
spot on quality and excellent value for money
on 19 March 2017
Really interesting to read before setting off on the walk.
on 18 March 2017
Excellent
on 30 April 2017
excellent
on 14 August 2015
I've done quite a few long distance paths but this is the first time that I've purchased a Trailblazer guide to take with me. It was great. Looks of helpful information and the hand-drawn maps are useful, especially the timings (although I use the Harvey's strip-maps as my primary map - as you can chop them up and shove them in a pocket). I walked the path the 'wrong way' - West to East, but had no problem using this guide backwards. In fact I met several people struggling into a strong westerly wind who were jealous of my choice of direction! I was so impressed by this guide that I've just purchased the one for Offa's Dyke - my next walking project...
on 16 May 2016
I have used these guides for previous long walks. They are helpful, easy to read, easy to follow and contain lots of valuable info. The only reason I've marked this down is because it describes the walk from East to West, and I need the walk the other way round. It does say in the guide it is a better walk doing it W-E but for some reason they do it the "wrong" way round!
on 11 September 2015
Having recently returned from walking the wall I feel I can comment on this guide. In my view, Henry has produced the definitive guide to planning the trip and walking the path so I should not have been surprised by the large number of other trekkers carrying it. Those carrying other guides were 'totes jel' of the level of detail provided by Mr Stedman. The extremely detailed maps are pretty much flawless and the only time I got temporarily geographically embarrassed was when the signage appeared to go AWOL through the golf course just south of Heddon (Map 8); I followed my nose uphill and eventually emerged from the treeline on the B6528, slightly north-east of Houghton North Farm. Henry advises careful attention to the signage there but I am not convinced that it exists. The book is compact and fits neatly into a map case/cover, held open at your map of choice for ease of use. I incorporated the southern extension to the route and this is a 'nice to do' if you have the time. Prices have inevitably crept upwards slightly since publication but the guide provided all I needed to know about accommodation as well as transport, logistics and just about everything else. I met some great people along the path and those providing food and/or accommodation from Wallsend to Bowness were, without exception, ridiculously kind and helpful. Particular thanks to Sandra at Greencarts (Chollerford) and Pam at The King's Arms (Bowness). My advice: buy this guide (there are others available) and get out there. Oh, the Highland Laddie ph in Glasson stops serving food at 1400hrs daily, and not 1430hrs as stated in the guide (slight sense of humour failure at that point), and you will need either your passport or your photo driving license if you intend to stay at Albatross in Newcastle (another slight...). Happy trekking.
on 16 March 2015
Easy to use and understand. Very informative and a lovely handy size for travel.
on 5 March 2015
This is a very readable guide stuffed full of useful information and clear maps. I booked accommodation for our planned Hadrian's wall walk using suggestions from the book, and everyone I contacted was friendly and helpful. We have not actually done the walk yet, so I cannot guarantee the guide's accuracy, however it has given me a lot of confidence. We are taking the non-standard West to East direction - pity there is no guide (I can find) that is specifically designed to help walkers going in this direction.
on 10 June 2015
Very useful book , especially like the hand drawn maps and the accommodation details