Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 3 November 2016
Ok - I know that none of the hacking scenes in the film are really even close to being realistic, and that the characters all tend to run toward stereotypical cliche, but...I still love this film. I can't help myself. It's fun, silly and surprisingly character driven, and I think that's what makes me like it so much. The chemistry between the characters/actors (Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller got married not long after this film!) tends to smooth over the script issues, and being a 'Nintendo generation' IT geek myself it resonates with a time in my life when I was listening to the same music and being dazzled by the incredible potential and opportunities that the, then still relatively nascent, internet and associated technologies kept presenting. Yes, it's cheesy and yes, it's probably even a little (or even a lot!) silly - none of that however makes me love this film any less. In short I can still watch it right through, take a stretch, and promptly watch it all over again. I can't be objective about this - it's a review based on my own personal feelings. I know many will disagree and I perfectly understand, heck I KNOW what's wrong with it myself - but there will also be another, albeit smaller, group of people who also 'get it' in that undefinable personal way that defies both reason and sense, and that's where this film lives for me.
on 15 October 2009
When I think back to the mid 90s, I remember what fun we all had when Windows 95 replaced Windows 3.1. All the hours of fun with plug and play that wasn't, USB that wasn't very universal and the social faux pas that was seeing your clothing clashing horribly with your monitor each time you were presented with the latest blue screen of death. Strangely Hackers, despite being made around this time and being about computers, doesn't seem to focus very heavily on any of these facts. (Then again if it had it would've been a much longer, slower and more boring film, as everyone sat around chatting while waiting for five minutes in each scene for their computers to boot up.) I think I did notice an Apple logo at some point, but I can only assume that everyone involved in the action was using a super duper version of Linux or something. There is actually a lot in this film that isn't very realistic and the main characters are generally way too cool and good looking to be computer geeks. Actually I've just realised that it's probably entirely pointless trying to make any real world sense of this film at all, a little like trying to explain the sense behind all Jason Statham's running about in Crank. Much better to sit back, enjoy the nonsense, the slight cyberpunk imagery and watch the good guys beat the bad guys. Watch, enjoy the action and silliness and be glad there's always a group of heroes out there ready to risk everything to save the day. A word of warning though; don't watch Hackers with anyone who actually knows anything about computers. He or she will spoil it for you!
on 17 February 2006
Their only crime was curiosity
Probably THE best film from the 90s. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched this since I got the DVD (if I don't watch it every couple of weeks there's something seriously wrong <grin>. A great cast - Jonny Lee Miller(who plays Dade perfectly), the unique 'Cereal Killer' (Matthew Lillard) and Angelina Jolie(to name but a few)
Made in 1995, this is a classic with some seriously great one-liners. It's a seriously under-rated film which has a teen feel-good factor, and you don't even have to be a geek to approciate it (though it helps ;-) )
on 5 February 2004
Hackers is a thrilling, vibrant journey into the world of cyber-culture and the computer hacker. Dade Murphy (Johnny Lee Miller) is a shy, socially inept computer whizz-kid who moves to New York with his mother, and soon mixes up with the ballsy Kate Libby (a young Angelina Jolie) and a gang of elite hackers (including Matthew Liliard) in a major electronic heist. These group of characters are the heart and soul of the movie, and it's hard not to enjoy their exploits as they take you through a subculture that has barely been touched by other mainstream movies - some people don't know it even exists. If you're one of those, you're in for a shock.
Director Ian Softley handles preceedings well, and even blurs the line between fantasy and reality by showing how the hackers see the world as a labyrinth of computer connections. The film has a harsh sense of humour too, and demonstrates just how powerful a computer hacker can be. The film also boasts a terrific soundtrack, featuring the best of Underworld, The Prodigy and Leftfield among others.
Although the dialogue and plot can be dodgy in some moments, Hackers is definitely an original and well-crafted movie adventure.
Well this is film is awesome. I first saw this about 2 years ago and now I try to watch it every week! Angelina Jolie plays a Hacker gurl names Kate Libby, who teams up with Dade Murphy(Johnny Lee Miller). Many Hackers have commmented on the innacuracy of this film to the real world of Hacking, yeah I agree. I am a hacker myself (please not only on my own network!!) I know that the glass computers and the cybercity bits just ain't what happens! Anyway back to the film, Dade and Kate along with Phreak (Renoly Santiago) Joey (Jesse Bradford) Cereal (Matthew Lillard) and Nikon (Laurence Mason) are blamed on the Da vinci virus which is the coverup of a worm launched by The Plague (Fisher Stevens). Well anyway I won't give anymore away as I don't want to spoil it for you. Well I would highly recommend purchasing this DVD or video! I got this on DVD which with the added bonus of the trailer is true bargin! An is great value for money for such an excellent film. I'm in the process of creating a fan-site for the film, if you require more details of this or want to know more about the film then please feel free to E-mail me. Well finaly I would like to say that this is my fave film of all time and when I saw this on DVD I got it straight away it's a film that can be enjoyed by all (it's rated a 12 so not quite everyone) and is likely to get you hooked to the extent where you could watch it many times! Thanx!
on 25 August 2003
I've watched this film so many times, and I never get bored with it. I do want to put one thing straight. SOME of the hacking isn't true to life, but a large part is. Think...this film is almost 10 years old now. Back then there were no firewalls and anti-virus was laughable, so a lot of the stuff done is really very doable. To think of the stars this film launched. Johnny Lee Miller, Angelina Jolie, Matthew Lillard. All big names now. Oh, and check the blink and you'll miss it cameo of Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics. He's the London hacker at the end of the film.
Best bits:
When the pool on the roof leaks
When they get Agent Gill back
Razor and Blade!
The Plague (the guy is an underrated actor!)
Worst bits:
Playing Wipeout...why?
Cerial Killer's obviously cardboard pager
Joey's computer flicking between a laptop and desktop (check it)
Those awful 3D towers that represent the operating system
To sum up...overlook some of the cringeworthy bits, because this is a great film. Oh...and it will make you want to be a hacker!
on 2 August 2000
to al those people thinking of buying this film, don't think anymore, just buy it! i first saw it on channel 4 and recorded it and watched that thousands of times and wore the tape out so i went and bought the real thing which was even better. i will soon be purchasing another as this copy i have had since christmas and have wore it out having watched it so many times. This is a must buy for every internet fan and everyone else. if the world buys enough they may just make a hackers 2. it could be out there i have already spotted a soundtrack for it feat moby.
on 29 February 2016
I bought this for research I am doing. It is still surprisingly good. There are some rather dated montages but the cast are all excellent, the direction is slick and well, it is enjoyable, and of course a bargain at the price.
on 5 October 2001
Fast-paced film about a zany bunch of computer buffs who discover a plot to hold the Government to ransom. They set out to hack in to the computers controlled by the villains, and all hell breaks loose. Principal characters Angelina Jolie and Johnny Lee Miller add to the tension with their love-hate relationship. Although true computer buffs will snigger at the now-dated and inaccurate terms, it doesn't detract from the film, which is definitely not a "nerdy" movie. A family favourite, watched over and over again.
on 27 January 2016
You might not believe it but at the time of release; this was a very good film with Robert Redford. (It's not the original sleeve) The Government were not to be trusted and the people were always right. It's the other way round now with thousands of Jihadis and boys in their bedrooms cooking up dastardly plans on their computers.