Customer reviews

on 30 May 2013
The day the phone came out I thought to myself, "I definitely want to get this and I have a feeling I'll have it for a very very long time". Why not? From the second you take this phone out of its box and hold it in your hand it screams 3 words; Power, passion, soul, no wait sorry that's Aston Martin.. MOVING ON...

The design of this phone is probably one of the most beautiful you'll ever see. 70% aluminium body which oozes a premium high quality feel. the screen is 4.7" which to me feels..just right. I cant really see any reason to go much bigger even now. The screens resolution is 1920x1080 which means everything is in HD and it'll have no problem playing HD videos, since this is an LCD display the colours are nicely balanced and seem more 'true to life'. I've never liked samsungs displays I've always thought they over saturate the colour of everything to make things look better, it doesn't work in my eyes.

On the back of the phone you've got the unique to HTC 4 ULTRApixel camera with an LED flash. The camera is a tricky one because when it works, it'll capture more detail than you've ever seen, I was amazed at how much it picked up when the conditions were right, but the slightest thing not right and that's it, the photo is ruined. In low light whilst the photo does still come out bright it can leave a massive amount of noise, zooming in is so terrible it shouldn't even be on the phone, honestly don't even try.

So what about software features and being a phone? Call quality is awesome on this phone, crystal clear on both sides and I don't recall ever having interference. Originally this phone shipped with android 4.1.2, this was a step behind its rival the galaxy s4 that was already on 4.2.2. To the general consumer however this would hardly be noticed as there were only a few little differences and fixes. This phone uses HTC's sense which you'll either love or hate, personally I loved it, it felt more like a slight modification to android rather than a ridiculous overhaul, (or at least it did, will get back to that). The whole phone feels clean of clutter and is remarkably quick. Blinkfeed is snappy (or at least it was), and general tasks and gaming on this phone are always a pleasure as its got more than enough to power to run whatever you throw at it. The One's 1.7 Ghz processor vs the s4's 1.9 shows almost no difference, in fact, the s4 feels slower thanks to its overly bloated touchwiz interface, just goes to show power isn't everything.

Sound is a key selling point for HTC right now. Those BoomSound speakers will blow EVERY other phone apart from its replacement (the one m8) away, no contest. The built in media player is clean, simple and easy to navigate. This phone is also the last from HTC to come with beats audio built in, try turning it off and on whilst playing a song, I generally notice a thicker, punchier tune coming through which for most genres of music should add a little something special to your experience.

So why have I only given this phone 3 stars? Well its problems for me began after the release of android 4.3 and sense 5.5. The phone lost its clean and sharp vibe and quickly began to feel like it was weighted down by software that wasn't properly optimized for the phone. After just 11 month of owning this phone I had to return it, the microphone stopped working for no reason at all, got it replaced for a new handset, and the software problems persisted, this to me shows that it wasn't just my first device. THEN came android 4.4.2 and sense 6, this changed the entire look of the phone, fixed none of the problems and I now can't stand the sight of the new interface, its hideous, and no matter what colour scheme I chose I can't find a happy medium.

All this combined means I now no longer own a HTC One m7.
on 31 July 2014
Tried to sort a minor fault and no response from seller. Called HTC several times to resolve.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse