Customer reviews

Colour: White|Change
Price:£89.99 - £318.36

on 2 December 2012
I needed a small, light Android phone for my partner. I have a larger HTC (the One V) and was very pleased with it, so thought I would give the Desire C a try. I was a little concerned about all the negative reviews that complained about the lack of processing power, but phone reviewers these days do seem to mark a phone down if it can't play 3d games and run high quality movies. I did not need those features. The phone is to be used for messaging, Facebook and a little internet as well as calls.

After working on the phone for a day to transfer over photos, texts and contacts from a Nokia C5-03 I am pretty impressed. It is small and light and the white version is very cute. The screen is small but that means longer battery life and it is big enough for non-intensive browsing. The silver bezel makes the white version look smaller than the black version by the way. Had no problems with lag or stuttering screens. Everything in the OS worked seamlessly. It was a little slow to import 2500 old text messages but I think that is forgiveable :) We tried a couple of calls and the reception was clear and loud, much better than her Nokia C5-03. She is pleased to get her Audible library installed and have access to internet radio.

In summary if you want a small, competent Android phone running almost the newest Android OS then this is a good buy. The screen and processor is small so it wont suit heavy browsers or gamers but for us mortals does the trick very nicely.
22 Comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2013
Very good audio, power amp player has srs option which I did not have on my xperia ray (license issue). Play almost every day at work for 2 or 3 hours (I have a dead end job - basically I have been doing the same thing for 20 years and I am going to get some cert for it, not exactly the Queen's Silver Jubilee....but!!! :)), I only play FLAC. The new vlc player also works well, flac only - never play mp3!
Also Beats Audio adds extra volume enhancement without distortion, better audio than xperia ray.
gps is as good as it can be, use free gps from navfree, works off-line too, very accurate but I still prefer to use 2 gps devices the other being sony psp gps - personal preference when driving.
The video works well in light, it is easy to watch video even in the car. As it is not too large or distracting, with higher contrast still visible with driving routes I know by heart.
Tesco sim works well which did not work well with my xperia ray which was also a smaller phone.
After 6 months of use mainly listening to FLAC audio, and playing paper plane 2 (free) and 3 - video seemed to be going choppy, and iplayer went seriously bad including video playback, but a hard reset fixed the issue, though the xperia ray could do a reset without deleting apps, but this was almost double the price and it did need resets once in a while!
It has a lower processor of 600Hz Cortex A5 but it can still play Air Navy Fighters well enough, and this is a very good fighter plane simulation which works with the motion sensor!!!
Do not connect to XP!
For me battery life is not that big an issue as it is an A5 energy efficient processor, and I am constantly connecting to the computer moving new music and deleting old music and it charges automatically in the ...
U can keep adding apps and moving to micro sdhc card whereas with my Xperia i was always deleting apps that i could not move and i needed another app to move the apps whereas the c does it for u in apps so it just feels more generous than the Ray (which probably is a good comparison phone)???
I asked somebody at work who has an iphone to try out iplayer, it was just a little bit quicker - then he played a video and said - no problem, it works. But I pointed out that it had stutter and audio and video were out of sync! So this was problem not with the c desire but with the iplayer.

update after 1 years use

1 You cannot root it, you have to unlock bootloader first

2 Installed CynagenMod 4.1 for greater stability and speed - everything is fine and stable.

3 Put in a new Kernal which overclocks the phone from 700 to 900.

4 My 64GB card works well now with no time lag

5 I can run Neutron Player which uses 64bit DAC on high settings so even art work bounces when you play music
on 29 July 2017
It's okay as a starter but end of day don't buy it. However the beats audio built in it is worth it if you like a good smooth sound this is why I bought it as for internet very slow drive you insane !
on 15 July 2017
Over the years I’ve had lots of phones and this has to be one the best if not the best! Easy to use and fits in your pocket, unlike most phones these days. A superb starter phone or for those of you who are not fussed on having a phone which is like a mini laptop.
The phone has T9 texting with the ability to increase font to “extra-large” for those who don’t carry their glasses around.
on 23 August 2015
I bought this a couple of years ago and it's now not really fit for purpose. It's so laggy when using the internet (using a wifi or 3G connection) that it's incredibly frustrating to use. Not sure if it's all the updates that has caused this because it was quite responsive in the beginning. Even opening text messaging takes several seconds. Everything is just so SLOW. The ONLY positive (at least for me) is it's compact size but unfortunately it will be going in the bin soon.
on 9 December 2014
Excellent medium sized smartphone.
on 17 May 2013
This is a decent phone, and i'd recommend anyone to buy it. If you have a look when you're buying and select the right one for you then you should enjoy this phone.
on 15 July 2017
Purchased it for my dad, he loved it!
on 13 April 2016
Good
on 9 June 2012
So, a quick review based on my experiences so far. The phone arrived today and I have been playing for a number of hours.

The phone is essentially an updated Wildfire S, with a slightly larger screen, and more internal memory. It runs Android v4. The processor is still 600 MHz, but the overall experience with the Desire C is much smoother and more responsive than the Wildfire S.

HOWEVER the major downer for me is that the processor does not have enough power for smooth Skype calls. The incoming call is slightly choppy and clicky - something that I and many others experienced with the Wildfire S, which also runs the low-end 600MHz processor.

I was hoping the updated android OS in this phone would solve the problem with skype but unfortunately it's not the case. The call quality is acceptable, but there is constant clicking and slight distortion on the incoming audio. A big shame, as there's nothing you can do about it, it's simply underpowered for the job.

The good news:

- Screen size increase over the Wildfire S makes text input significantly easier than the Wildfire S
- OS is pretty responsive and smooth
- Feels secure in the hand, while light and relatively slim. The soft feel rubbery case is grippy in the hand.
- Internal memory is a sensible 2GB, unlike the WIldfire S with a ridiculously small internal memory that filled up very quickly and caused programs like GMail to have issues.

The bad news:
- Doesn't come with any internal storage
- Low-end processor not fast enough for clear Skype calls

Otherwise, it's responsive, nicely proportioned, and competitively priced. Big shame they couldn't put a slightly more capable processor in. If you Skype a lot - better consider something else unless you don't care about clicky audio.
1313 Comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse