on 7 March 2010
It prints OK, pretty decent for its price- but the scanner is a nightmare! It was a pain before I had snow leopard, but now its been 'updated' for the new system it's even WORSE.
It scans images in at angles, you can't customise it so it will scan the same area every time, instead you have to adjust the scanning region every time you scan. I'm trying to scan in animation images and this is a complete waste of my time! I can't use this stupid scanner now because it's been so-called 'improved' by HP.

Apart from this, the whole piece of equipment is pretty temperamental anyway. The cartridges are pretty pricey, I wouldn't suggest getting it if it will be used frequently.

Don't waste your money. If you want an all in one, don't bother with this.
on 27 May 2010
Excellent product by HP. No errors or broken parts. Only had one problem where the paper got stuck in becasue it picked all the paper up and printed on it.
on 28 October 2008
This was the second HP printer I had which has now failed after six or so months use. In both cases it appears that using non-HP ink cartridges had caused the failure. I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices charged for their ink cartridges and will continue to search for a printer make that is robust enough (honest enough?) to allow generic cartidges to be used.

I will not buy HP again and strongly recommend everyone else do likewise.

One star is too much.
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 8 March 2008
Attractive name and pricing tempted me to buy another HP printer to replace my wife's 18 month old HP1400 which has become erratic.

Had difficulty installing the new 4180 as the installation kept crashing with fatal errors. Managed to install it after reinstalling and upgrading Windows XP SP1 to XP SP2.

Scanning utilities are very basic and not as good as with its predecessor. Despite aligning the cartridges after installation, I keep getting a message asking me to realign them again every time I switch the computer on. It is printing perfectly without further alignment but I cannot get rid of this irritating message. Realignment consumes a fair amount of ink, a costly affair considering the price of HP ink. Wish my wife would agree to switch to a laser..
7 people found this helpful