HAYAO MIYAZAKI STARTING POINT 1979-1996 SC (Starting Point: 1979-1996 (paperback)) Paperback – 24 Apr 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's most beloved animation directors. In 2005 he was awarded the Venice International Film Festival's Golden Lion Award for Lifetime Achievement, and his Studio Ghibli received the festival's Osella Award for overall achievement in 2004. Miyazaki's films include Spirited Away, winner of the 2002 Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature Film, as well as Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo, all of which have received great acclaim in the U.S. Miyazaki's other achievements include the highly regarded manga series Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Starting Point: 1979-1996, a collection of essays, interviews, and memoirs that chronicle his early career and the development of his theories of animation. Both are published in English by VIZ Media.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
but came in great use and full of plenty of information.
Following my reading of this wonderful book,I re watched all Studio Ghibli films to experience the techniques mentioned in his interviews.In the original Japanese format,of course.So that's even more hours of joy to be thankful for...YAY Miyazaki !
It was good to also learn about the origins of Nausicaa and the trials that were overcome to bring us this amazing story.
I went straight to Amazon to get the original manga Box set.Luck me..,I'm nearly the happiest person in the known Universe !
I must be in the top 10..,surely ?!
Anyway,the style and questions at the interviews Miyazaki attended were very revealing for me and I enjoyed some blistering replies ! There appear to be some commentators/reviewers who don't seem to appreciate an honest or heartfelt opinion.Sour grapes,if you ask me.You can't fault a man who readily documents and admits his own shortcomings.I admire him.
An excellent book if you want to know more about how a master craftsman goes about creating a masterpiece.
Obviously,as Hayao readily admits,it takes a team to complete the film but the ideas have to come from someone.
This book reveals where and how those gems came from and the development process.
That's what I wanted and that's what I got.
I must be in the top 9..,surely ?
It is brilliant, she is so happy.
Would recommend this book to anyone.
I feel it could have been a bit more colourful and interesting to look at and include more sketches and drawings.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Huge fan of Miyazaki's work & have been wanting this in my collection for some time.Published 5 months ago by Dan
Great read for fans of Miyazaki. Using this for my dissertation - very useful.Published 8 months ago by Marion
Interesting to a point but appears be printed on very poor quality paper,Published 11 months ago by Kit Burberry
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Film Directors
- Books > Biography > Novelists, Poets & Playwrights
- Books > Biography > Theatre & Performance Art
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Anime & Manga
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Genre
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Dark Horse
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Fantagraphics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Hamlyn
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Image Comics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Titan Books
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Direction & Production
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Performing Arts