These are absolutely fabulous suitcases. I bought a bright blue one two summers ago as I planning on visiting family in Canada in the September of 2014.During that time, I hired a car and took my mum to several places in the Ontario province including Niagara Falls to go wine tasting and Toronto for shopping, a dinner cruise on Lake Ontario and an evening of Cirque du Soliel! This bag was perfect for me as it is so light, yet so strong! Also, as a moderately physically disabled person, I found the wheels wonderful. I was able to effortlessly maneuver this case and had no problems whatsoever. It really was the perfect bag for me.

Since that time, I have moved during the school year to work at a British International School in Spain, so this was the perfect robust bag that would withstand 4-5 return trips every year to and from the UK. This bag definitely lives up to the strength that is purported by the company. Yes sure, you get a few of the black marks from being handled and being forced along the black belts. But if you are seriously worried about that, you can clean them down and they still look fabulous.

To be honest, I haven't bothered cleaning the outside of the bag - I can still spot it a mile away! There is no one else that has a bag like mine. Everyone else's is black, grey and boring!

Well a few months ago they had the champagne coloured back on Amazon's Deal of the Day for well below what I paid for my blue one. I just made a decision and said YES. This September, my son will be joining me to do his IGCSE's at my school in Spain, so now he also has a lovely robust bag that we can bring to and fro for several years to come!

I would definitely recommend this product for the frequent flyer!

Please let me know if my review has been helpful. If it hasn't, please comment on anything that I can do to improve my review! Thanks!
on 23 August 2014
Show stopping, lively colour, easily recognisable on the baggage carouse! A great case, this was for my son, he used it for his holiday to Australia. Survived the journey, returned, still looking brand new, plenty of room inside. Light and easy to move, due to four wheels. Well made. A great piece of luggage.
on 7 September 2014
The case is a great size for medium length trips (anywhere between 5 to 12 days). There is an internal divider that allows you two compartments essentially (one in the lid and one in the base). The divider itself has a large mesh/net pocket for storing smaller items.

I was particularly pleased with the locking mechanism on the case, which is simple and provides a bit of peace of mind for travelling and keeping things reasonable secure, without worrying about airport security using the bolt cutters to open a lock!

My only criticism of the case is the material it is made of. From the photos, it looks to be a hard plastic case. In reality, the plastic is quite thin and flexible. This came as a surprise when I unpacked the case. However, I've continued to use the case and certainly not had any problems with the integrity of the shell itself. Will be interesting to see how it performs over a number of years and greater punishment on long-haul trips. But, I'm not too worried. The Haupstadtkffer brand is a good one and I'm sure the case is well-engineered. The advantage of the thinner plastic is that the case is incredibly light, giving you more weight capacity for the stuff that really matters!
on 25 September 2016
The item is very nice, I have the smaller version and it is lovely. The one I received does have the TSA lock. It also came with an elastic luggage band (sorry, don't know what they are called) and a strange pair of yellow sunglasses in a bag labelled Fancy Hauptstadtkoffer Edition. However, one half of the case did not have it's protective film on it and the case had some deep scratches. Not huge, but I don't have time to return it before my trip.
Update: after my trip. The telescopic handle is wobbly and looks like it is coming apart at the top left side. The case has survived, but many deep scratches and scrapes so it isn't the best looking thing anymore. Zip has held, but weight on two halves pulls on zip.
on 7 January 2016
Of three I bought only one remains. One the wheels came off the other the handle came off. My second round of buying this brand. the wheels fail every time. I love the brand , but this replacement case was a different production completely. it was clearly made by a new factory and the quality has gone down. they need to properly test their products. the look great but if you want something to use week in weke out spend more money. for occasional use its fine. and dont load it too heavily it simply wont support it , wont wheel and the handle doesnt go back in......the handheld broke off the large case i bought from them broke too. Sad times.
on 8 August 2013
Like most German products, the suitcase is strong and seems resistant. Furthermore, the colour is super cool and the overall look and details are great. Definitely worth the money.
If you have the storage space for all 3 sizes then I would recommend to take advantage of the fantastic bargain of buying all 3 sizes for £139.00. Unfortunately, due to lack of storage I could not take advantage of the offer and ended up spending almost as much just for 2 suitcases.They arrived only 3 days after placing the order; much, much earlier than expected. The suitcase is pretty spacious and expandable; a massive plus feature, for those like me, who always buy far too many souvenirs during their trips. Though I have not tested it on a trip yet so far I am pretty impressed.
on 2 May 2016
Having the old suitcase wrecked by 'careful' airline handlers I was after a suitcase that would last. I think I have found it in this one. It's now gone to the US,Norway and on a cruise and still looks in good shape. I can highly recommend to anyone this piece of kit as it has plenty of room for your clothes and will keep your holiday purchases quit safe and secure in it's embrace.I would say that the big manufacturers should take a look at this as the new standard in travel ware that lasts no matter what the airline gods throw at it .
on 1 September 2015
This case does NOT come with the TSA lock type as advertised and shown in pictures. Which was the reason why I ordered this case in the first place. Very disappointed. This is my second HAUPTSTADTKOFFER case, I also have the 63cm and other than the old lock type these cases are great. One star for false advertising!
on 9 May 2014
I fly about 100,000 miles a year, and most of my luggage is Tumi which stands up to the abuse, but this suitcase is a light, tough, has good wheels, and what appear to be strong zips. Really nice to travel with.
on 4 May 2017
I am very concerned that we have only used this item twice now for short journeys but the zip has broken.I have the matching large case and was vert happy with the quality but this smaller case has dissapointed me.I would like to be contacted please to arrange refund or replacement.Regards Natasha Lewis