on 30 July 2015
Guy Martin is a likeable, if unlikely, presenter of some TV work who seems unaffected by the presence of the camera. Far more important to him he is also a darned good motorcycle road-racer. To cap that he is a hard working truck fitter, and has been from day one of the journey that is his adult life. He can add accomplished author to his talents now.

On purchasing Guys autobiography I didn't know what to expect. Compared to my usual reading I would have considered this much less important to me. But Martin is a sincere and transparent fella that would never attempt to polish faeces. Nothing about his background suggests he should be able to write with simple eloquence, and yet he achieves just that. There are no big words in this book. The sentences are fairly short too, Despite this Martins words flow from the page to the readers head with delightful ease.

I am not a biker. I had no former appreciation of the appeal that draws a cult of road-racers. From having read Martin I think I gatta peek into their world, and their heads. Martin is no Steinbeck, but he manages to put flesh on the bones of the people who get a mention in this book, he does that with gentle suggestion, and no labouring of points. He has a grass roots appreciation of the psychology of road-racing and competition, and he conveys insights without ever mentioning anything a physiologist might. He describes circuits and the people he, is and was, out to beat, and it is all engaging stuff.

Martin makes his acknowledgements and grinds the odd axe Evidently he feels indebted to a number of loyal and supportive people, of that there is no doubt, and he clearly feels let down by a smaller number of others. Again there is no doubting that.

Along the twists and turns of his life there was a turning point came about because he screwed up. Very evidently he was deeply involved with the farmers daughter, Kate Lancaster. He cheated. News reached Kate. They split up. End of. It was the biggest crash of his career, and he has had some. He treats the event like a lot of water under burned bridge. No wearing of heart on sleeve. Nonetheless I could not help feeling sorry for the two of them. They had an understanding and a trust, Screwing around screwed the trust. Oh, Ms Lancaster, I am so sorry.
on 21 June 2016
Hubby is a huge Guy Martin fan so thought as one of his Christmas gifts I would get him Guys autobiography.

Hubby is fascinated with people and enjoys to read about how they perceive themselves, how they have ended up where they are, and this book didn't disappoint. Hubby is also a biker, not a racer mind you, but enjoyed the detail that Guy goes into when talking about racing. We have both watched the films that Guy gets involved in and enjoy these immensely.

Hubby has read many autobiographies and sometimes doesn't like the person much once he has finished reading, but this isn't the case with Guy. He finds him a genuine, down to earth but won't suffer any nonsense kind of person. He isn't pretentious and speaks his mind.
on 20 March 2017
Guy's sense of humour and honesty coupled with his courage and determination lift him above a lot of the personalities in the field of sport.
He acknowledges his peers and gives them respect, and compliments and thanks the people who have supported him. He speaks it as it is
and gives the reader an insight into the world of Motorcycle racing. An enjoyable read.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2016
I purchased this as a birthday gift. The person who received it was very pleased and said they will definitely read it.

Guy is becoming SUCH a big celebrity now, with all the different shows he's in on the telly. Such an amusing man to watch and if you can understand what he's saying - he talks very(!) fast, fun to listen to as well. I might just read it myself when they're finished with it!

Delivery was very prompt, packaging was minimal, price was good... All in all, I'd recommend this book and the seller!
on 3 November 2015
Really enjoyable read written in very natural style one would expect from Guy Martin. Quite a few descriptions of race tracks and does not go into his personal life much but then having excelled as a truck fitter, motorcycle racer and mechanic, mountain biker and specialist TV presenter he has packed a great deal into his first 31-32 years covered here so imagine not too much time for Oliver Reed style antics. That said he has had his moments and am sure would not recommend anyone copying his use of fireworks. Always keen to entertain and with a refreshingly honest and straightforward style it is no surprise that the nation has taken Guy to its heart. Many thanks, glad your using your talent, keeping up the good work and having a great laugh along the way.
on 1 June 2014
Such a good book and really funny in places. My husband was really chuffed as he likes Guy Martin and really enjoyed it.
14 people found this helpful
on 19 March 2016
Love this Guy. This book gives an insight into the modest life of the truck mechanic who is happy sleeping in his van and drinks copious amounts of tea.
I'm no biker and the book wasn't too technical for me. Just informative and interesting.
His new programme was on TV this week where he raced his Superbike against David Coulthard in a formula 1 car. Spot on Chief!
Love this Guy and enjoyed reading this book.
on 1 March 2016
I've watched some of Guy Martin's TV programmes, and I think they're great. He's a natural presenter, plain speaking, honest and funny. His book is written in similar vein, and is enjoyable. Except - and this is a big except - it's written with an expectation that the reader is also an experts in the workings of the combustion engine, and of motorbikes in general. I battled my way through endles chapters about engines and tyre sizes before giving up 2/3 of the way through.

Worthy, but for the diehard afficionado.

Ben Kane, author of the Hannibal and Spartacus novels.
on 13 September 2015
I thought before reading the book, that it would be the usual run of the mill celeb auto biography. Well how wrong was I? Guy has given us a warts and all down to earth book. He doesn't spare his blushes by missing out anything that might be seen as showing him in a bad light.
He is honest and this book is very worthy of the five stars. I didn't know half of the stuff he mentions and now think even more of him. You have to read this to try and understand the real guy Martin and get an appreciation of how down to earth and everyday fella he is.
Thanks Guy.
on 15 November 2017
A smashing read, I have just found the man on You Tube and thought that I would like to know more of the man, and this book provides it in his own inimitable style. He is what I would call a bit of a 'Jack The Lad' with a strong work ethic, a down to earth outlook, large balls, and, certainly 'The Common Touch.