on 7 November 2010
The Guinness Book of Records used to be an essential item in the home, you'd get it for Christmas and for all the next year you could dip into it and find the record holder for anything you could think of.

Not any more, the current book is a shadow of it's former self, lots of nice pictures I grant you, but it's utterly selective about what records it lists.

And then commercial interests stick their oar in, for example, I really enjoy the X-Games and all extereme sport, but having its own section in the book and categories like 'most x'games titles' is just plain ridiculous.

Just try to find a record like, highest speed by a downhill skier, that must be in surely, you'd think so, and a real book of records would have it.

So sad, it used to be definitive, now its just pretty.
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2011
Bought this as a present for my 15-year-old nephew who had enjoyed reading last year's edition. He also liked the 2011 edition but said that it was not quite as interesting, too similar to last year's. So I guess it would have got five stars if he did not own the other one already.

Personally I would rate it 3 stars maximum because to me it seems an unorganised jumble of more or less useless information, trying to be most spectacular, not matter how meaningless the record is. Yes, I know, it is the "Guinness Book of Records" but having grown up with the older editions I do not really like the new design and the chaotic structure.

To the new owner it is like a big magazine with a jumble of colourful photos and lots of amusing and/or faszinating information.

But on the whole it was worth the money, because it managed to get a 15-year-old boy to read for hours. For this reason only I rate it four stars.
on 12 March 2011
Wonderful book. I got one initially for my 8 yr old son. I got two more as presents for other people...love it!
on 3 January 2011
Present for my son who is only six but keeps picking it up and telling us about things and is amazed at the facts !!
on 10 January 2011
This book was purchased for my 10 year old son. He loves the facts and records set and to read about them.
on 21 October 2010
Excellent gift for the kids this Christmas fantastic value and full of interesting facts to make learning enjoyable. A must buy item
on 13 December 2010
Time was, this was a genuine reference book. Not any more I'm afraid. In fairness its been this way for at least 15 years, and the new format is clearly a commercial success. It's just that, when the McWhirter brothers first published this book, the whole idea behind it was that it would be definitive and authoritative. Anyone who has seen a pre-1994 edition will spot the huge difference. Like I said it clearly has a large market, its just not for me.
on 6 January 2011
My grandsons are 21, 18 and 14. I have been buying them this book for years. Each year I ask whether they would the book for Christmas. I thought that this year the oldest two would say NO, but surprise, surprise they all wanted their copy as usual. Every year I notice that their parents have a look and then quote facts to us. So perhaps you are never too old for THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS.
on 25 May 2013
Hi

I bought this for my two daughters a year or two ago and they love it! Full of unusual facts and feats. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I seem to recall it was ridiculously low (like £2 delivered or something). If you've never bought one before - BUY IT! :-)

Dave
on 26 October 2010
I bought this book for my grandson - he put his head into it
and we did not know he was there! He kept quoting interesting facts for us. Great entertainment for this 10 year old. Very well priced from Amazon too!