Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2017
Very good book that will tell you almost everything you need to know about beekeeping...
on 26 April 2017
This book is an essential for both new and experienced keepers
on 16 June 2017
good read
on 4 May 2014
Some of the illustrations weren't particularly helpful.
I only bought it because it was a course book but I can't say I would have bought it otherwise
on 5 April 2017
Quality text. A perfect accompaniment to the Bee Manual.
on 4 December 2015
Fantastic book for bee keepers old and new. Not a first book for anyone starting out, but a definite second book. A good book to re-read in winter ever year.
on 9 June 2017
Very in depth
on 31 December 1998
This book has guided me in my first three years of bee keeping, helping me in establishing two out apiaries, and currently seven colonies at my home apiary. It is a great reference book plumped out with anedotes, useful alongside advice from fellow beekeepers. Peter Thomas, Near Coleford, Glos., UK
on 6 June 2014
This is an admirable book in many ways. There is a wealth of information for bee-ginners like me and more experienced beekeepers, at a greater level of detail than in some other books I have read. I found the sections on bee anatomy and behaviour particularly interesting. Some other sections, such as that on queen rearing, went rather over my head, but I expect to come back to those later.
BUT, I was very disappointed to find that although I bought the 5th edition (2010), which is trumpeted as an “updated edition” it is very far from being up-to-date.
Yes, there is a new chapter 9 on Pests and Diseases (but why is this in a different typeface from the rest of the book?), but the publisher has not ensured that incorrect information in the earlier part of the book is amended. In chapter 5 I read “anyone who finds a varroa mite must report this to the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food because varroosis a notifiable disease”. In fact, varroosis ceased to be notifiable in 2006. MAFF was abolished in 2002.
It is to be expected that a book first published in 1976 might seem dated in style, but for a book described as an updated edition to contain such serious flaws is, in my opinion, not good enough. I was left wondering if I was being seriously misled in other ways too.
on 14 October 2014