Customer reviews

on 14 June 2015
I've read and re-read this book and used it with my son. He's a boisterous, happy-go-lucky little kid.

This book definitely helped. It is well written, gives good examples and most importantly gives clear instructions.

I strongly recommend this to parents of boys!
on 17 June 2017
good practical advice
down to earth with some home truths
avoids cliches and cuts through the transient fashions
on 14 February 2008
Absolutely. Growing Great Boys is an excellent guide for parents trying to raise boys. Ian Grant's book is filled with helpful information about what makes boys 'tick', from toddler to teenager, as well as practical ideas for helping them develop at different stages of their lives.
For example, the chapter on pre-school years helps the reader to think about what his son should (ideally) be like when he reaches the age of two. Grant gives tips on how to deal with the strong-willed boy, the shy boy, the importance of saying no sometimes, and many other practical tips.
I was given this book after the birth of our son in 2007. It is without doubt the most informative and helpful book of any that I have read. I fully commend it to anyone who's looking for help in raising his or her son to be a considerate, wise and selfless man. You will not regret buying this book - it is excellent.
on 19 February 2008
This is without doubt the best boys book I have ever read!
As a mother of three little boys, I constantly need inspiration and encouragment at how to parent our boys creatively.
Grant gives you everything you need in this pithy, straight-talking book.
Packed with practical, fun ideas. You will have to steal it back from your husbands night stand.
Buy it!
on 15 June 2011
Ian Grant is clearly convinced that growing great boys is a father's task and offers little consolation to mothers whom are raising son's by themselves. He implies the only way you can be a great mother to a boy is to get a great man involved in his life. The general advice and guidance is clearly geared towards men. The women's section is incredibly short and reads along the lines of clean, wash and feed him and you've done your job. But if you happen not to have a man around, go and read the section on how to be a good father.

I am sure this may possibly be a good book for fathers, but as it goes from my perspective it offered me virtually no insight into how to raise a boy well. The layout is bad and he attempts to cover to broad an age range making the depth of advice patchy across the areas.

It clearly doesn't draw on some of the most effective and recent research around parenting models but is very much an anecdotal account of the way him, his mates and his family raised children, in fact this is little more then a man to man pep talk of a book. As for father's- I would not be happy handing it to a father as I think its pretty patronising as it goes.

Ultimately I think it takes both mother and father to raise a child and if this was a dad's guide it should have been more explicit in the titling.
on 13 June 2009
A really lovely book. I have had my nose in it since it arrived (at lunchtime) and cannot put it down. There seem to be some very wise words, that although blindingly obvious initially, upon reflection I hadn't thought about it and I'm glad this book has pointed it out to me. Thank you!
on 23 June 2016
This book was just what I have been looking for. I have two young sons with different demands and expectations from me.

It explains clearly each stage of a boy's life as he grows up and how his outlook and life needs and experiences are changing and what I can do as a mother to help and encourage this so they grow into wonderful young men!

Lots of good tips if you are struggling with any particular age or situation.

Well worth the money and read!
on 8 June 2009
I didn't learn anything new but there were some really good points made and I definitely want my husband to have a read and take note. I did keep feeling mildly irritated however, by the authors tone, it seemed to slip into 'macho jock' style where dads have rough and tumble and fun and mums like to cuddle and comfort children, but apart from that I think its worth the read.
on 19 December 2015
Freatiche book Very helpful , ive learned a lot about little boys behaviour , still reading it and I would suggest it to all the mum :)))
on 20 April 2013
Bought two books on problem boys of which this was the better of the two, found it a bit Americanised for my taste