Customer reviews

Grk Operation Tortoise (A Grk Book)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2017
good
on 7 June 2009
My son aged nine adores these books. The protagonist, Tim, and his canine sidekick, Grk, always become ensnared in some quite serious adult scam - in this story they find themselves on a rich man's island paradise having to rescue a laboratory-full of stolen animals. Tim can often find himself in frightening situations, but these, to my mind, are handled very sensitively. Above all, it's always his quick-witted resourcefulness and courage that win the day - not a magic wand or the arrival of the Cavalry at the 11th hour - and that's empowering to children and one of the many strengths of these books. We enjoy the inventive plotlines, the colourful villains, the vivid settings (each story has a different geographical background), the topicality of each story and the wry, lively writing. We're on Eurostar to Paris now with Grk Takes Revenge and learning all sorts of useful things on the journey. Vive Grk!
on 31 August 2015
This is part of a series featuring Tim, a small boy and his black and white dog who get into all sorts of bother. I was quite shaken at the drama and genuine shock conveyed when he finds a man washed up on the beach and runs for help. The man doesn’t survive and the sense the death is a big deal is very well handled.

The family dynamic is a bit odd. Tim’s parents take him on holiday, but the family pet comes along and there is also Max and Natascha, who are friends of the family. Mr and Mrs Malt are determined to have the holiday of a lifetime and are distressed that Tim gets involved with a dead man, while Tim is determined to try and find out how to get to Calypso Island, which was what the dying man said to him. Trouble is, Calypso Island is privately owned by Edward Goliath, one of the richest men in the world, and he loathes trespassers. The scenes on the island are depicted with plenty of tension and a real sense of danger – the despair of the prisoners and their hopelessness is well portrayed.

As well as some fairly gritty adventure scenes, there are also flashes of humour running through the story. I particularly enjoyed the spiky relationship between Mr and Mrs Malt, who behave extremely badly towards each other when they find themselves stranded on a desert island in the middle of the ocean.

The story is fast-paced and eventful, which of course you’d want for a children’s adventure story. But the really impressive bit is that Frances needs to read every day during the summer holiday and when I asked her to read a couple of pages, I discovered most of the vocabulary came from the core of high frequency words developing readers need to master to be able to become secure, independent readers. And although I am an ex-primary school teacher, I hadn’t spotted this was a book designed for developing readers until Frances found she could comfortably manage most of it.

We all enjoyed the story, which had a climactic ending where all was restored to normality and I am now in the process of tracking down other books in the same series. Doder manages to write an engrossing adventure story using a restricted vocabulary which is a whole lot harder than he makes it look.
on 29 July 2013
My 8 year old son loves the Grk books and has read them all. And I love the fact that he learns about different parts of the world, politics, geography, poverty, morality but all with some real adventure and humour. But this is the one book that I am glad I happened read out to him - he found parts of it too disturbing. In fact, I ended up précis-ing it as I went along. Grafting human body parts onto animals? Not for an 8 year old at bedtime. But keep writing, Joshua - we love all the other titles!
on 24 November 2008
My son was given this book and having read it earlier in the week has been having nightmares every night and is now afraid to go to sleep. It is certainly not suitable for younger children (he is 7). There are disturbing vivisection-like elements in chapter 33. If you have an, even slightly, sensitive child, give it a miss.