Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 November 2002
In our reading group we have been reading Fair's Fair By Leon Garfield. Fair's Fair is set in the middle of London during the Victorian period. This is a story about Jackson and Lillipolly and a dog called Growler who they meet.There are also two other characters called Mr Beechame and his lawyer Mr Chuter.
The story begins with with Jackson helping Growler and leads to a series of extremely exciting adventures.
Our favourite character was Growler because he is sent on the quest to find two kind children. You should read this book because its a fun book which is easy to read and interesting for children.
We enjoyed reading this book very much and recommend you should read it yourself.
on 5 October 2006
When our class read this book, we thought that it wasn't going to be very good because it was set a long time ago in Victorian times. As we read it, it got better and better. Jackson is the main character and he is an orphan who lives on the streets of London in Paddy's Goose. WE felt sorry for him because it was so cold and he had no shoes. We thought that he was going to die. Growler, a dog as big as a donkey, nearly, pads up to Jackson and that's when the adventures begin. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you like adventure stories - READ THIS NOW!
on 12 February 2009
Our Class read a book called Fair's Fair. The book is set in Victorian England and it tells the story of a poor, orphan called Jackson. Jackson lives in the worst part of town.. One day he meets a black dog with a mysterious key around his neck. Where will the key lead him?

The main characters are Jackson and Growler (the dog). They meet a girl called Lillipolly in the house. Soon they become friends. After they give six mince pies to some carol singers they hear a knock on the door. I was two men dressed as robbers. So what will happen next?

The book is an excellent book. You should read it. It tells you about orphans and also about Victorians so that's why you should read it. (Don't forget you can always read it at bedtime) READ IT NOW!
on 26 April 2016
Charlie, Megan, Finn and Owen Class 13 HWPS

I enjoyed this story because it was very exiting and I didn't want to put it down. The story built up good tension and you didn't know what was going to happen next.
It has a lot of suspense,but not just in the middle of the story - it was also near the beginning,so it kept me thinking the whole way through.It also had a good moral behind it - that it's better to share than keep things to yourself.
If there is a new Fair's Fair book coming out I will definitely get it.The book is quite short so you don't have to get annoyed because it is taking so long to find out about the end.
Fair's fair really got me thinking what if that was me living on the street in that time?What would it feel like - sad,lonely? Jackson was brave living on the street then with not that much food.
Best book ever! I would recommend this book to 7-10 year olds especially if they are learning about the Victorians.
Fair's fair is a good story. There are five characters called Jackson, Lillypolly, the dog Growler,and two old men. The story is set in the middle of old Victorian London. I enjoyed it because it is an exciting story. Jackson and Lillypolly have no parents. When Jackson shares his pie with the dog, it leads to a big adventure. I would recommend this story to 7-9 year olds who are learning about the Victorians.
on 6 January 2002
The story is about a young boy called Jackson who was eating this pie when a big black dog sat next to him. It had a key on its collar. Jackson gave the dog half of the pie and Jackson got the key. Jackson searched all the houses until he found one that it fitted. He stepped inside to find another orphan LillyPolly at a dinner table. It wasn't LillyPolly's house, but it was her dog. LillyPolly fed leftovers to Jackson. When the 2 Gentleman who owned the house came back, they were surprised to find someone there, but Lilly Polly explained her idea that she would help with the cleaning if she could stay there. One good turn deserves another.
I enjoyed this book which I read at school.
on 20 November 2011
Fair's Fair is set in Victorian London (In the Victorian era). The characters are called Jackson, a scruffy young boy, Lilly-Polly, a cheerful girl, and Growler, a fierce dog.
The excitement builds up as they search lots of streets to search for a door to fit a key.
In this story, I liked all the similes, verbs, exciting adjectives and the echo. I didn't like it when somebody threw the dirty water out of the window, and I didn't like Jackson and the dog very much.
I would like many people to read this and I'm sure Leon Garfield would too. It is a very exciting book so please read it today!
on 9 January 2011
This an excellent childrens book which is presently being read in year 4 in the school I work in.All the children love this story.I have bought this as a present as well as its a book a child will always pick up and read.Lovely story of hope.
on 1 February 2016
Classic book used as model for children's writing. Focus on figurative language: metaphors, similes and personification. Great teaching tool !
on 22 November 2015
Great for SEN and low ability children in year 5.