on 5 May 2008
I'm a very big fan of the show and that's why I bought the collectors' edition.

However, when I inserted the dvd in my computer and looked at the contents of the dvd I noticed that it tries to automatically install a rootkit without any user intervention. This kind of behavior is not even legal.
We as customers are getting punished for buying it while pirates provide it for free without malware.
I won't buy dvd's anymore from Channel4 in the future.

The technical stuff:
The DVD's contain Macrovision ActiveReach RipGuard technology. There are 3 hidden files (autorun.inf, 70Z58O4I.exe, RGASDEV.SYS) that, when installed, stop people from creating a legal backup copy for personal use.
There is no way to uninstall this program therefore it gets labeled as a rootkit:
1313 Comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 January 2011
I've rated this 1 star for the disc quality not the show. I loved Green Wing, it's really original and very funny which is why I wanted to own the DVD. However, we've had serious problems with the first disc. Once you've selected episodes from the main menu it takes a while to load. After loading, you're given a choice of episodes 1,2 or 3. However, no cursor appears over the numbers so you can't actually get into any of the episodes to view them. This isn't a problem on any of the other discs so we know it's the disc and not our DVD player.
We duly returned item to Amazon and were sent a replacement, but that had exactly the same problem. We contacted Amazon to tell them and they said they'd look into it and we got a full refund. We tried buying the DVD from another supplier but encountered exactly the same problem so returned it too.
We then noticed that Amazon had put this disc back on the market, emailed them and were told the problem had been rectified so we bought the disc again from Amazon. On the fourth attempt...it still doesn't work.
I've seen other reviewers of various Green Wing discs have had the same problem with disc one. Please Amazon sort it out I just want to watch this fab series again!
77 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 August 2009
I'm a huge fan of British comedy. Not the Benny Hill variety, but things like Nighty-Night, The Office, The In-Betweeners. I tried to watch this show and it was DREADFUL. I think it's trying to be edgy with all of this fast-motion slow-motion throughout each scene, but the attempt at creating something stylized has failed, because there's no substance behind it and the script is entirely UNfunny. This editing device wears thin after about 5 minutes, and then you realize it was utilized to cover up the complete lack of humor or substance or even vague watchability. I'm stunned to see that this lasted more than 1 series: it's tragically bad and a huge misstep for Channel 4. You've been warned.
66 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 February 2011
I only watched two episodes of this and it was enough. Casualty on BBC1 at least has a story to it. If you told the scriptwriter to omit sex from this show there would be nothing left, no story to it at all.
55 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 January 2010
Green Wing is without doubt one of the best TV comedy series ever written
This BAFTA Award winning sureal comedy shot in Basingstoke and Southampton Hospitals is a must have.

I first came across this channel hopping one evening whilst I was looking after my girlfriend who had co-incidently just come out of major surgey at Guys hospital - this was the perfect antedote and we laughed so much that she had to stop watching as her industrial size metal stitches were in danger of exploding.

Green Wing will take you through all the gamets of human emotion it is superbly written. it will always have you smiling and sometimes even crying with laughter.

The natural chemistry and razor sharp banter between arrogant but insecure public school Swiss born, anaesthetist Guy Secretan (Steve Mangan) and Julian Rhind Tutt(crazy name crazy guy) as the unconventional, popular and high flying surgeon Dr "Mac" MacCartney must rate among the funniest spontaneous double acts of all time. With the tall, quirky, honey toned Tamsin Greig (Debbie from "the Archers")as new Dr Caroline Todd - the eventual centre of their affections.

The other star of this series has got to be the up tight, dark and twisted (but not unsymapethic) stammering Radiologist Dr Alan Statham brilliantly played by Mark Heap
(Lark Rise to Candleford) who's is unable to reconcile himself to modern society. His school master authority always undermined by people who dont fit into his old fashioned view of Britain, in particular by his extremely tall and street-wise bullying bysexual pupil Mr Boyce.
His carnal desire and touching affection for the unlovable Joanna Clore is often thwarted (usually by her)eventually leads to tragic consequences involing a stuffed heron and a dwarf
(who incidently played Jack Large - the ball-buggering beast killer of no fixed abode in Rowan Atkinson and Richard Curtis' Black Adder 1's final episode - another comic classic !)

Green Wing introduces us to a whole host of exagerated and increasingly demented characters with superb performances from Michelle Gomez as mad queen Sue aka staff liaison (they enlarged her part as she was so funny) and the unsymapthetic and apty named Joanna Clore as the slightly older, aged obsessed, sex crazed uber nasty head of human resources. (why Pippa Heywood won an award for her role and the others didn't is beyond me - they are all superb)

Karl Theobold plays the irritating elfin under achiever Dr Martin Dear, who is also in love with Carolyn Todd. Throw in those smug irritating but talented women (Angela and Holly) and the tall token man (Jake) from Smack the Pony and you have a riotus comedy. Look out for new comic stand ups playing cameo roles.

Green Wing is a series of hilarious sketches and vynettes tied together with a complex plot, superb dialogue (much of which seems natural and unscripted)coupled with superb human observation and a very dark under tone.

My girlfriend and I have watched these series far more times than we care to mention and each time find something new to amuse us. We even hooted when we accidently discovered the rainbow bunny freeze on her post operation visit to Basingstoke Hospital (which shows how sad Green Wing fanatics we have become) - no sign of Statham or any camels however !

My only two regrets are 1. that there is not an entirely happy ending its bitter sweet depending on which one you choose and that they have not made more (although we did note a series of Mac and Guy adverts as a spin off).

Green Wing is like nothing you have ever seen but it is in the same league as Fawty Towers, Black Adder I (the funniest one) and Rick Mayall's New Statesman

Green Wing has superb male and female comic actors and script writers - there are gags here which appeal to both sexes. Green Wing is more banter and witty dialogue than slapstick but there are great visual jokes too.

Script writing and British comic acting at its very best - dont miss out it will have you in stitches (no pun intended) - you will never look at hospitals the same way again
- go and buy it !
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 October 2011
Green Wing is a "quirky" comedy series that ran on Channel 4 between 2004 and 2006, consisting of two series of 9 and 8 episodes respectively and a one-off special. The episodes each run for just under an hour and the special 90 minutes.

The series is set in a hospital and follows the fraught and often tortuous relationships of the various employees and their fractured character traits. The series covers a lot of ground and a brief synopsis is almost impossible, but the two highlight plot arcs are:

= An "on-off" love triangle between the three surgeons, Caroline Todd, Guy Secretan and Mac MacCartney, (Greig,Manganand Rhind-Tutt) and the attempts of the monumentally wet student doctor Martin ("Fartin") Dear (Karl Theobald) to break into the triangle and win Todd's affections.

= A rather unconventional love interest between the pompous, stuttering and deeply disturbed radiologist Dr Alan Statham (Mark Heap) and the aging, insecure but sexually aggressive administrator Joanna Clore (Pippa Haywood).

The series relies for its humour on peurile, eccentric, extreme or even surreal behaviour of the protagonists and for the most part it works with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments interspersed with fair doses of "cringe comedy" and less extreme forms of amusement.

If I'm honest, though, the concept is sarting to wear by the second series and while the humour remains it seems to be taking second place to the somewhat soapy relationships themselves and by the special, I became a little tired of the whole thing. Some of the surreality goes a little too far and Sue White, the Scottish staff liaison officer played by Michelle Gomez failed to raise a single laugh. Overall, however, this is a great example of good Channel 4 comedy (a genre in itself, I think) and well worth the expense and effort.

I have to say, though, that the one shining star throughout is of course Mark Heap's wonderful performance as Alan Statham and, if other story arcs or characters are losing a little of their comic gloss, you can be sure that Heap will get you rolling on the floor, breathless with laughter. You can hardly call such a parodical character "well observed"; I think that "fine tuned" is probably a better description. Credits also go to Olivia Colman who plays the disorganised and absent minded admin office worker - a far gentler comic performance.

Series 1 *****
Series 2 ***
Special ***
on 7 August 2013
Undoubtedly my favourite TV show. Green Wing is genius on a whole new level. From the unique camera style to the scene layouts, this creation ticks every box.

One would expect a hospital-based comedy to be based in a hospital. Correct.
One would also expect a hospital-based comedy to be comedic. CORRECT!
One would definitely expect a hospital-based comedy to be centered around hospital life. Wrong.

Green Wing features almost no, shall we say, "Holby-esque" features to it. The occasional trip to the surgeons' theatre might count for something, if they weren't busy playing Wink Murder or exercising their great regional accents. Then there's Staff Liaison. Sue White offers little aid to the staff in the hospital, instead spending her time stalking her favourite doctor and dancing to Nokia ringtones. The Junior Doctors spend their working hours using X-Rays to profit from Walkers and annoying the lovely Dr. Alan Roderick Statham ("nice initials"), Consultant Radiologist, who longs for his "demanding Aphrodite" Joanna Clore, the head of HR. Speaking of HR, what goes on in there? Typical office action, you say? Add a hopscotch path and an invisible barrier and you're almost right.

Basically, everything you were expecting before you read the reviews is wrong. Green Wing is Green Wing.
Welcome to the lunatic asylum.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 July 2011
This series was first shown on channel 4 in 2005/2006 and is now available on 4 on demand (4oD) to stream to your TV etc via broadband...so check it out and watch the first episode to see if you like it.Now how can I describe it,hilariuos,quirky,whacky and original...I absolutely love it and have watched the whole series again over the space of a week...and I work 14 hours a day!....It's like "Casualty" without the medical dramas and as if the script had been written by Monty Python or some more up to date comedy team.
I started watching the series on 4oD but for under £15 decided to buy the box set then I don't have to put up with adverts...buffering and using bandwidth.The best decision I made.My daughter watched an episode with me (she was too young when it was on TV)and was in tears laughing.
Without spoiling the storyline the radioligist and head of PR go on the run after killing a dwarf with a stuffed heron....Now you can't say that's not original!
Only one concern I had was that the last episode was not on what I thought was the last disc...but in this set it's called the "Special" so no problem there.I was sad that they did not make another series but on the other hand it has kept it timeless and fresh,so maybe the right decision.The writing team recently did the "Campus" which I had great expectations for but was rubbish compared to"Green Wing".
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 March 2011
For me, this is the most amazing programme I have come across. The theme tune is so catchy that I find myself humming it. The cast is sublime. The scripts are written with such genius; they capture the weird and wonderful British humour that made Red Dwarf/Black Books/Monty Python (to name but a few)such a roaring success. It saddens me that this never really had the level exposure and acclaim it deserved.

This is not everybody's sense of humour, but it is very worth watching. The arrogance of the medical profession, the insanity associated with working in the NHS are all portrayed in this 'window'. It is well worth buying and watching. If you give it a chance, you will be rewarded.
11 Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 March 2011
I was given the first series of Green Wing as a gift. It took me a while to get round to watching it since the person who gave it to me likes some odd things (The Mighty Boosh?!?!).

Green Wing is odd. I can definitely say that some people won't like it. I wasn't really sure if I liked it for most of the first season, but I felt somehow compelled to buy the rest and see how it all turns out. I'm still not 100% sure I liked it. But... I didn't hate it, and wanted to watch more of it, and was sad when it ended. I've even got other people to watch it. Does that mean I liked it?

What I can definitely say is that much like The Office (which this is both like and not like) it's in places 'cringe TV', there are parts that are so uncomfortable it's hard to watch, and it's almost a relief when they are over. There are completely surreal moments where it seems as though the show has jumped the shark completely. There's deep, deep emotional turmoil at times. There's laugh-out-loud comedy. There are genuinely touching moments. There's slapstick-type gags. There's gross-out comedy moments. There's also some stuff about a hospital in there too.

The acting throughout is superb, and the characters (even the horrible ones) are engaging and really well written, I really found myself caring about them. The cast is of course formed from some exceptionally talented actors who are most known for their comedy roles, so I guess generally this should be seen as a comedy played straight (mostly), but it's more than that too.

To wrap up: Think of a cross between SPACED, The Office and Peep Show then add a twist of Black Books and a generous helping of M*A*S*H (the series) and you're probably getting close.