- Paperback: 312 pages
- Publisher: Red Wheel/Weiser (1 Jan. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1578631106
- ISBN-13: 978-1578631100
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 2 x 21 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,196,877 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Greek Qabalah: Alphabetic Mysticism and Numerology in the Ancient World Paperback – 1 Jan 2000
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Inside Flap
Restores the factual basis of alphabetic numerology and symbolism in order to provide an accurate background upon which to base the more popular studies of numerology, Qabalah, enneagram, divination, and similar topices of interest to new age readers.
From the Back Cover
A landmark new work in its field, The Greek Qabalah uses extensive academic research to reach what some may consider to be a controversial conclusion -- that the literal Hebrew Qabalah actually has Greek origins. Drawn from a vast array of ancient authorities and archaeological evidence -- from Aristotle to Zosimus, from Pythagoras to St. Paul, from Egyptian papyri to graffiti at Pompeii -- Kieren Barry carefully documents the use of the alphabet in philosophy, religion, oracles, and magic in the ancient world. He takes you on a journey through history, from the dawn of the alphabet, to the late Byzantine Era, following the continuous evolution of alphabetic symbolism from the number-mysticism of Pythagoras, to the Greek philosophers, the Egyptian magicians of Alexandria, the Romans, the Gnostics, the early Church Fathers, the Neoplatonists, and the Jews. Special attention is also given to the topical use of the Qabalah in the Bible, Gnosticism, and in the recently discovered Nag Hammadi Codices.
Also included are appendices containing tables of alphabetic symbolism, a list of ancient authors, and a numerical dictionary of several thousand Greek words, which represents the largest collection of gematria or isopsephy yet available in print. The Greek Qabalah is a revolutionary work that will be of enduring interest to a wide range of readers, including students of ancient history and early Christianity, Qabalists, and modern magicians, for many years to come.
Top Customer Reviews
The Greek Qabalah is a book that will be of interest to a wide range of readers, from students of Ancient History and early Christianity, to Qabalists and modern magicians. Extensive notes and citations from original sources will make this revolutionary and authoritative work an essential reference for researchers and practitioners for many years to come. Also included are appendices for tables of alphabetic symbolism, a list of authors, and a numeric dictionary of several thousand Greek words, which represents the largest collection of gematria or isopsephy yet available in print.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good and interesting read, something we haven't read a great deal about until now. Entertaining at the same time. Thanks!Published on 27 Jan. 2014 by Ms Indy Mair
Not about the Qabalah. It's about the symbolism of numbers and letters, but it's a purely historical work of academic interest only. Read morePublished on 10 Sept. 2006 by D. Kay
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Languages > By Language > Ancient Languages > Ancient Greek
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Occultism > Magic
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Paranormal & Unexplained Phenomena
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Thought & Practice > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Kabbalah
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Earth-Based Religions > Magic & Alchemy
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Mysticism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Sacred Texts > Kabbalah
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics