Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 September 2003
Classic & fantastic stories with excellent artwork. My son loved it since 5 years old and so have I. We return to it regularly. Nice touches of humour too.. my sons favourite: as Perseus vanishes in front of the Gorgons "where'd he go", "fanged if I know".
on 24 March 2010
A great resource for the classroom - I used with my Year 4 class and they loved them. A good mix of story and speech - good level of humour.
on 13 February 2015
Reviews of Theseus and the Minotaur by Marcia Williams.
Children aged 7-9.
Review by PF and TA
We recommend this book because it is funny, creepy and sad. The comic strip style appeals to us because it has lots of detailed pictures as well as short pieces of writing to tell the story.
Review by BC &
RR In Crete King Minos created a horrific monster - it was a MINOTOUR!
Every year King Minos would tell King Agues to send 7 boys and 7 girls to Crete to be killed by the Minotaur.
Theseus was furious about this so told his dad King Aegeus that he was going to Crete to slay the Minotaur himself…
We recommended this book because it’s very creative and we really like the comic bok style because the pictures tell you more information and they are funny!

Review by OR
It is good that Theseus killed the minotaur so that the people of Athens could stop being given to him for food.

Review by A.B.
I recommend the Theseus and the Minotaur myth because it is very good and the illustrations are fantastic! My best bit is when King Minos (Theseus’s dad) jumps of the cliff onto the rocks at the end.

Review by OY.
I like this story because there are a lot of characters. I think people should read this book because it is a good read. Theseus wanted to kill the hairy Minotaur because a lot of weak tributes from Athens got sent each year and it wasn’t fair.
on 28 November 2015
My 8 year old loved this book. we read it together, I read the main script and he read the words in the cartoon 'bubbles'. I learned from reading this book too! when we had finished it he wanted more of the same so I have bought another 3 of Marcia Williams' books for us to read together.
on 12 February 2008
This is a good book and does cover the content mentioned in the description.

What the description fails to point out is that this book is entirely written *only* in horizontal comic strip format. As such it is only able to cover the stories in the most lightweight fashion.

It is humorous and eye catching but is not suitable for children doing projects on Greek myths!
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2016
My son is really into history but he's also into The Beano. This is a great compromise . Great idea to have set out like a comic. They get to be really familiar with story and not die of bordem in the process. Learning without knowing it. Love it!
on 14 October 2015
Bought for my 7 year old grandson who reads the 8 stories with absolute delight. They are presented in picture strips with speech bubbles and the story in larger text under each picture. I have also read them to my 4 year old grandson who enjoys the stories and can easily follow what is happening. Excellent presentation of classic myths.
on 13 August 2015
I wish I'd had this year's ago. I e always got muddled up on the myths. I've bought this to share with my granddaughter but have been reading it secretly myself to get up to speed. Makes everything clear without pandering to the reader
on 27 March 2014
My granddaughters love it - it has opened up a whole new (old) world for them. They now, thanks to this book, have a new dimension in their lives. It has spurred them on to find out more about Greek Myths.
on 21 February 2015
This has been very popular with the children in my Year 3 class and is pulled off the shelf again and again. I think the drawings are lovely, and although I am not a fan of the 'amusing' cartoon-like style and words within the pictures, the children think they are hilarious. There isn't a huge amount of detail to the stories and so I would recommend this as an 'extra' text, or one for younger children.