on 29 June 2005
I have the 2000 edition and I am planning to buy the new one as indeed the guide has been an invaluable companion in travelling around Greece, even though I am a Greek! Detailed info of the 2000 edition is now out of date (change of currency from drs. to Euro, change of prices, change of ferry schedules etc.) but overall the book has been very useful to me in past years in chosing which island to visit, even among the most remote ones like Kastellorizo, Leipsoi, Halki or Karpathos and Kasos. The book offers a lot of tips on how to get there, where to stay or eat, which places to visit and most of the time they are very accurate. In order to get this kind of info while in Greece you have to consult a number of different travel agents or tourist offices (one for the ferries, another for air flights, a differet one for getting info on local accommodation and if you are lucky and you know somebody who has visited the island you chose, then you can get also some real tips on where to stay and what to do).
Perhaps there is too detailed a presentation of the 'monuments', some of them are not as spectacular or interesting as mentioned, however it is still useful for the interested visitor.
In sum, the book is definitely worth its value.
on 10 April 2001
This is a very informative guide book with all you need to know for travelling Greece, including the islands. There is no shortage of accurate information for eating, sleeping and travel (could do with a bit more info on the club scene).
It has plenty of maps which are more than useful for most situations, and also has plans of ancient sites such as the acropolis.
The ferry guide was good and got me out to Astipalia without any problems (although I was a bit confused by the layout to start with).
All in all a great book - nice one Lonely Planet - keep them coming!!
on 23 April 2007
I spend part of every summer in Greece, and this guide is excellent! It is concise, reads very easily, and gives good common-sense recommendations on what to see and where to stay. It is as up-to-date as you can reasonably expect with changing prices and euro fluctuations. A very, very practical guide from the budget tourist to middle class. Excellent pictures, very good maps, a fine job! It reminds me, in a way, of the Michelin guides to Europe.
on 14 September 2015
Having been to Greece many years ago - it was nice to re-read this book. The LP travel guides are always nice to go trough - for travel preparations, for just a good read or for so many other reasons, as nostalgic remembering, general education or just for the joy of reading. Always recommended.
on 20 January 2014
I also have the Rough Guide to Greece and I'm glad I have both. If you are a crazy Greek-o-file then you will like this book. I spend months in the Peloponnese every year and I may feel that we could be better portrayed in this part of Greece but I'm not sure that is fair criticism.
on 22 July 2011
Bought this guide and a smaller one for athens. The one for athens wasn't as good for the city as this one was. Used it constantly for food, maps, accommodation around greece, things to do.

Would recommend to anyone going to greece!
on 27 June 2007
I've been to Greece twice, the first time with another guide book and the second with this one, and i found it just opened the whole place up and gave me enough information to explore every alley - a lot that i missed first time around.
on 20 January 2011
Very good guide, quite a lot of illustrations and plenty good tips.
I strongly recommend this book even for a non english native speaker, worth more than "le guide du routard" or "michelin" or any other.
on 25 October 2009
I went to Greece with my boyfriend. We spent one day and two nights in Athens then four days travelling around Central Greece and the Peloponnese. We then flew down to Santorini for another four days.

I used the guide book for booking accommodation, recommendations in some restaurants and general information and found it very useful. All of the accommodation recommendations were accurate and very good. Some of the places I had to call by phone before we left because they didn't have email - which was a little concerning but it all worked out.

Some of the restaurants recommended were a bit hit-and-miss - it seems like the person writing the book has gone in to look at the restaurant, thought it looked cool but hasn't actually eaten there or experienced it. For example - we went to a recommended restaurant in Athens, Archeon Gefsis, which was near where we were staying (in an awful area!); which sounded like a fun authentic night out. The food was good but the restaurant had NO other people in it on a Saturday night at 8/9pm - sad times.

But then in Olympia the book said not to eat in town and to go to a small village out of town - which we did and it was an amazing (budget) restaurant - totally spot on! So very hit and miss throughout our travels.

The maps were good and easy to use. The recommended two/one-day sights in Athens was really good.
The guide is good for the practical aspects; however it misses the point by not mentioning Greek Mythology (which is the reason why many people go there). It covers the basics in terms of what to see, but tends to overhype some aspects.
Some of the data is inaccurate with regard to opening hours.