The Great White South: Traveling with Robert F.Scott's Doomed South Pole Expedition Paperback – 4 Dec 2001
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Herbert G. Ponting (1870-1935) was a world traveler, pioneering photographer, and lecturer. Roland Huntford is author of Shackleton, The Last Place on Earth, and Nansen. He lives in Cambridge, England.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I had long thought it would be out of print, and was delighted to find this was not so.
It is the trend today to go to great lengths to de-bunk heroes, and Robert Falcon Scott is among the victims.
Ponting keeps him on his pedestal, and no bad thing!
The photographs are excellent, but better in the larger format book. Don't let that put you off, though.
A good read.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The only downside to this edition is that the publishers unaccountably saw fit to provide a platform for another of Roland Huntford's incredibly tiresome and bitter rants about Captain Scott himself, by inviting him to contribute an unworthy, though mercifully short, introduction. Huntford's by now largely discredited iconoclasm despoils some of the dignity and freshness of Ponting's own work. Just ignore it and enjoy Ponting himself.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Photo Essays
- Books > Biography > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Arctic, Antarctic & Other Lands
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > Discovery & Exploration
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > United Kingdom
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Travel Writing