- Paperback: 544 pages
- Publisher: Broadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc); 1st Trade Pbk. Ed edition (2 Feb. 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0767910389
- ISBN-13: 978-0767910385
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 3.6 x 23.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 9 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 162,260 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Great Movies Paperback – 2 Feb 2004
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is a wonderful book, an appreciation of the greatest movies by the greatest movie enthusiast--and also the shrewdest, the most humane and clear-sighted. I read this book with pleasure, enlightenment, and a desire to see many of the movies again, because I had missed what Roger saw." -- Paul TherouxFrom the Hardcover edition.
One hundred essays by the popular film critic represent key writings as prepared by the author for his bi-weekly feature of the same title, in a collection that includes his analyses of such films as Casablanca, The Godfather and The Wizard of Oz, among other great movies. Reprint.See all Product description
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Along with Thomson's 'Have You Seen' this is a great book to pick up and flick through at any time.
As Mr Ebert sadly passed away in 2013 we will have no new volumes to look forward to but he has left behind many volumes of movie reviews and we can be thankful for that.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray]
- Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon
- The Godfather
- It's a Wonderful Life
- The Shawshank Redemption
And here are a few Ebert regards as great that I cannot agree about. Their value eludes me, even with Ebert’s explanations and endorsements.
- Apocalypse Now
- The Big Sleep
- Dr. Strangelove
- Gone with the Wind
This series of books continues with The Great Movies II. If you enjoy Ebert’s perspective, you will also enjoy Ebert's Bigger Little Movie Glossary: A Greatly Expanded and Much Improved Compendium of Movie Clichés, Stereotypes, Obligatory Scenes, Hackneyed Formulas, Conventions, and Outdated Archetypes.
Well done Mr Ebert!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?