- Paperback: 464 pages
- Publisher: Sterling; Illustrated edition edition (7 Oct. 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1402791666
- ISBN-13: 978-1402791666
- Product Dimensions: 22.6 x 17.5 x 3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 804,580 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Great War and Modern Memory, The Paperback – Illustrated, 7 Oct 2012
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Paul Fussell is a professor emeritus of English Literature at the University of Pennsylvania who served as an infantry officer during World War II. He is the acclaimed author of more than 20 books, including Class: a Guide Through the American Status System (Touchstone 1992) and The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-1945 (Modern Library 2005).
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
wry, compassionate, detailed, persuasive, generous, wise...compelling. one of those books to take with you wherever you may go.
However it falls into cliche and a typical lack of understanding of the true military significance of certain events. This often makes his view of the fighting simplistic.
There are some interesting photographs in this edition but there are numerous errors in the American photo editors captions. A glaring lack of rudimentary knowledge of football being just one.
I might seem to be finding fault with this title but it is one of the best books tying in literary critique and social comments surrounding the 'myths' of the First World War even if it perpetuates many of them.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
work. It is a good introduction to how fine literature can describe the brutality of war in a measured Augustan diction.
Fussell's masterful book is both scholarly and emotion-packed. If you care about war and its effects on our identity, you must read this. The new illustrated version adds much more depth to an already powerful book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wales
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism