The Great Commanders of the Modern World 1866-1975 Paperback – 27 Oct 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Andrew Roberts is an eminent historian and writer. His authorial credits include the bestselling A History of English-speaking Peoples since 1900; Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Gamble and Eminent Churchillians.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was amazed at his inclusion of Basil Liddell Hart in a book about 'great commanders' when to my knowledge LH never had a field command beyond limited experience in WWI; I don't believe he was even attached to the IGS. He made his name in the interwar years as an opinionated and often polemical writer and journalist on military strategy and military matters. Anyway, his reputation has been largely destroyed in the last 30 years by several historians, in particular John Mearsheimer's Liddell Hart and the Weight of History (Cornell Studies in Security Affairs), who points out LH's claim - that Roberts enthusiastically repeats without challenging - of being the 'invenor of armoured warfare' were largely invented post world war II and based on his own very self-serving collaboration with a group of German generals and their famiies, which LH collected in the self-reverential book The Other Side of the Hill (Pan Grand Strategy Series). Most controversially, Roberts quotes without a disclaimer extracts from the English version of Guderian's Panzer Leader (Penguin World War II Collection) although it's been proven by Kenneth Macksey Guderian's biographer ...Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Military History > Strategy, Tactics & Military Science
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence > Defence Strategy & Research