People buy the GGBO books for a variety of reasons. There are profiles of the bakers featured in the 2014 competition, some of their specialist bakes, and usually the technical challenges. I noticed that a couple of the technical challenges weren't included, so to make doubly sure you get what you want, I've listed them all here.

The technical challenges for each week of the 2014 GGBO are:

Cake: cherry cake
Biscuits: Florentines
Bread: ciabatta
Desserts: tiramisu cake
Pies and tarts: mini pear pies (not included)
European cakes: dobbos torte
Pastry: Breton kouign amann
Advanced dough: Croation povatica
Patisserie: German schichttorte (not included)
Final: perfect sponge, caramel, choux pastry as petit four

The book is broken down into:

A baker's guide
Biscuits and tray-bakes (pecan shorties; Enwezor's pumpkin and sunflower biscuits; fudge brownies...)
Breads (cheddar and mustard loaf; Irish brace; Jordan's rye and spelt load; banana bread...)
Cakes (Martha's dark chocolate and almond liquor savarin; Claire's miniature chocolate & cherry cakes...)
Sweet pastry and patisserie (choux caramel puffs; snowball meringues, Kate's rhubarb & custard tart with almond...)
Savoury bakes (salmon coublibiac; port and redcurrant charlotte; little crab soufflés; tapenade twists...)
Puddings and desserts (hot white chocolate sponge puddings; Richard's Black Forest chocolate fondants...)

It's not the best book in the series, but if you're a committed GBBO fan, there are enough of the challenges, and enough of the signature dishes to make it worth your while.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2014
I like this book but don't love it......there are some good recipes which I am sure to try but not sure this is a book I will use over and over again. It does however provide some ideas and has a few lovely bakes that I would like to tr
on 14 August 2014
I wouldn't bother buying the kindle edition. Titles are on wrong pages, photos don't match the titles. Not impressed. They have some big problems.
on 1 October 2014
Kindle version isn't worth money. Better buy printed book. The titles don't match recipes, titles are on separate pages than recipes, pictures don't represent recipes they follow. Huge disappointment!
on 16 August 2014
I was very excited about getting this book, and it was definitely worth the wait. Even with just a quick flick through the pages, it's evident the amount of time and care has been put into it - visually it is beautiful. The design is colourful and simple but extrememly effective, and the photography is stunning - the pictures make you want to start baking right away.

The recipes themselves are many and varied and their difficulty level is clearly set out in the top corner of every page. The chapters range from Cakes, to Patisserie , to savoury Bakes, so there is something for everyone. I haven't baked anything out of the book yet, but I have lots of ideas of what to try out first. In addition there is a bakers guide at the beginning of the book which explains all the techniques an terminology used.

Overall, this book is a must buy for all bake of fans and general home baking enthusiasts - highly recommended and great value for money.
on 23 October 2014
Have been watching the bake off for years now but first time that I've bought one of their books. My daughter who's a keen baker sent me her Amazon wish list email and this was top of the list! So it's being wrapped as a gift, although I wish we could start baking from it right now as I'm keen to try some of the dessert baking with my daughter! Beautiful book, with lovely photographs, although some reviews had said the book doesn't include everything, I think the book includes enough for anyone to spend the next year baking through the book, which I hope my daughter and I will be able to do!
on 10 October 2014
There are some great recipes in here and I love the "spoon" difficulty rating system that helps prepare me for the difficulty of the task. Only improvement I would have recommend is give more recipes from contestants. There only seemed to be one recipe from each, but I would have loved to try more of the signature recipes that the contestants put together on the show.
on 8 October 2014
just to clarify (as it's not totally clear from either the blurb)- this is the book from the current (ie Sept/Oct 2014) series - which is a surprise given the huge reduction in price. There are wee bio pages on the participants - Martha, Nancy, Chetna and co. and a few of each of their bakes are included. It doesn't have everything - eg - no baklava, and tragically nothing written by Mel or Sue, but it's still a great gift to get for anyone who has loved the series.
on 2 November 2014
this book takes you through savoury bakes,puddings & deserts to breads & cakes. every step is illustrated or described in detail,complete with ingredient list. most of these are from the BBC 'the great British bake off' show. its a great buy too.
on 21 November 2014
I've watched all the Great British Bake Off"s and have all the books. I dont think theres any more recipes to get. But I'm an avid watcher and reader and test out alot of the recipes on my partner. Been told to slow down due to his expandind waistline lol!!!!