Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 11 June 2017
Made a great change from all the vampire and shifter stuff I've been bingeing on. Great writing likeable heroine and sidekicks. I'm not going to spoil the story for you but I can say I did enjoy it.
on 31 January 2013
loved it very intense great read, I've read Kalayna Price before & enjoyed her 'Bitten Books', but this just blows them out the water. Her cleverly crafted world relys on witches & fae, very tricky, manipulative, there's a dark undertone throughout, & the author drip feeds the puzzle piece by piece, without losing any of the flow, a definate page turner.
Private investigator, Alex Craft, raises..
on 9 May 2017
Loved this book and the books that follow. Could not put the book down and ordered the next before I had finished
on 31 January 2016
I stumbled on this author by accident and I'm very happy I did! Really impressive and greatly enjoyable read. On to the next book for me.
on 24 February 2014
I enjoyed the storyline and the overall plot which were very well crafted. However, I found the plethora of minor characters somewhat confusing and the main character's ability to get into repeated scrapes somewhat annoying.
on 18 August 2017
Good
on 25 February 2011
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The cover is a bit 'meh', so it looks a bit like it might be one of those short, quick and full of sex 'urban fantasy' books.

But it's so much more and I read it in a day.

It's very well researched and planned - with a full compliment of all things faery. Our heroine is Alex Craft, and she uses her magic to raise shades - sort of like ghosts, but not - to help her investigate their deaths. She tries to routinely raise two shades, but has problems, and the story starts from her investigation. We get to meet 'death' who's a friend of Alex's! She also gets a new partner in the form of a new detective who is also investigating one of the deaths she is.

I don't like to give too much away about the story when I'm writing a review, but suffice to say this book is funny, well written, interesting and I'm looking forward to the next one.
on 8 February 2014
Would have given the book 5* were it not for a sex scene that I mostly skipped over and made me uncomfortable during the rest of the book.

NOT COOL! NOT COOL AT ALL!!!

Spoiler below:
[Alex has used up all her magic, is weak, and Falin is drunk with some magical alcohol. She pushes him away, keeps telling him to stop, but he keeps going on and on, he is drunk apparently and wants her and her telling him to go away, pushing him away doesn't seem to stop him.
His goes on for multiple pages (on my kindle) but in the end she gives in, not because she wants it but because he won't go away.
What then follows is multiple pages of very hot and steaming sex (that I mostly skipped because I thought it was just wrong and could not get in the mood to read it). She wakes up the next morning, sore, and then apparently somehow doesn't care that he forced her to have sex with him.]
on 9 December 2010
Private investigator, Alex Craft, raises shades, they are like the memory of the person, she is able to use her 'grave sight' & power to reanimate the shade for a short time, to tell their story. Alex raises the wrong shade, her family life is screwed, and she has to find & destroy the source before all hell breaks loose.
The writing is tight, a complex storyline that keeps you hooked & characters like a stalking ghost, a cryptic gargoyle, malicious fae and two very different male protagonists with tightly held secrets of their own.I enjoyed this new urban fantasy alot, great escapism and will definately be buying the next in the series. When you look at the plot & premise I could not help but to compare her loosely to a female 'Harry Dresden'. If you like Karen Chance, Linda Robertson, Chole Neill & all of that ilk, you should not be disappointed.
The next book in the series is Grave dance & should be out in the summer 2011.

Recommended....
on 1 November 2010
The first installment of Kalayna Price's new Urban Fantasy series is thoroughly enjoyable - I couldn't put it down.

I loved the world-building, the main character is likeable, the story captured and held my attention and there are the beginnings of a love triangle where both options look very attractive ;)Whilst I would definitely class this as urban fantasy rather than paranormal romance, there are romantic elements to the book.

If I had to describe 'Grave Witch', I would say it has a good dollop of the early Anita Blake books, mixed with handfuls of Kim Harrison's 'Hollows' and Patricia Briggs 'Mercy Thompson' with a small pinch of Stacia Kane's 'Downside' books. In short, a recipe for success!

This book left me impatient for the next in the series and the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I found some of the descriptions in the showdown at the end slightly confusing.

All in all, I thoroughly recommend this book.