Customer reviews

on 23 May 2009
If you've read or flicked through most of these reviews, you will see a mixed bag.

I'm afraid that if you have a PC with a high degree of security on it, as in a decent firewall, virus killer and or other malware killing programs, then it will not like SecuRom.
I have had a problem with this since Bioshock and installing good security on my PC.
I didnt know that SR was installed with GTAIV, otherwise I wouldnt have bothered, I have even un-installed SR, which isn't easy, but I still get BSoD and random crashes now.
As for the game, I never got to see it play, as I never got that far to appreciate it.

I'm sure it looks great, but all this extra stuff you have to install to play the game is crazy. It took me nearly 4 hrs to get to activate the game using the serial code in the manual, unfortunately, the 2nd hand game had no manual....sheesh!, so I had to send it back, but the problems remain the same, SR is not user or XP friendly, and it writes itself to the root of your hard-drive, causing major problems with your firewall and anything that is monitoring I/O processes.

If you want to see the worst case scenario (as for me) then read Rocco's review, it mirrors my experience to the fullstop at the end.
If you have any decent (by which I mean many) security programs on your PC, (if not, you should) then buy this game with fear in your heart.

Its a shame because the game should have been tremendous, but its just a nightmare of a port over from the PS and it will penalise all of us honest buyers who are not pirates but have to put up with this ridiculous Anti-copying, stick an iffy rootkit to my hard-drive, and make me install online disc checking routines to my PC.

Buy it, install it and cross your fingers that the RS social club is not undermining your firewalls and leaving your computer open to hacking.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 December 2008
These days the Gaming Industry reminds me of Lemmings. No matter the obstacles and amount of reasoning there is simply nothing to be able to give them pause on their stampede over the cliff.

2K GAMES crack-opened the door of idiotic DRM schemes (with its custom-made SecuROM 7.+ coupled with Limited Installations which were enforced by an irremovable RootKit), only to be followed by EA, then UBISOFT and finally ROCKSTAR. Even after the customers' backlash over the SPORE fiasco that was heard around the world, the people in charge seem less competent every day. And that is no small feat: they were already considered totally incompetent to begin with.

To be fair, GTA4 does NOT limit the number of times one can install the game on the same computer (hence the extra rating star). On the other hand, it does introduce another bright idea, the..."Rockstar Social Club" (and that is ON TOP of the LIVE nuisance). I wonder what sunstroked executive named THAT baby while vacationing in Cuba!

Need for an ...ubercomputer to run properly? Check.
Intrusive DRM scheme? Check.
Unoptimized porting? Check.
Common crashes and instability? Check.
(The list is long. ROCKSTAR really dropped the ball on this one...)

My advice: wait for the major patches to be released (preferably for the DRM-removing patch as well) and the price to drop. Do not be surprised if it becomes clearance-bin fodder before the early Summer sales.
on 1 October 2013
I attempted to buy this game for my Windows 8 PC. Many other sites said that the game was only suitable for Windows 7 and below but this product page specifically said that it would work for Windows 8.

I installed the game no problem, but upon launching the game, it was clear that there was an issue: the loading screen got stuck on what is commonly known as an 'infinite loop'. Various YouTube videos had tutorials on how to fix this issue, but it involved complex levels of coding etc.

On the few occasions that it would complete the loading screen within 5 minutes, the resolution would be so pixelated that it would be unreadable and then subsequently crash.

Please avoid using this on a Windows 8 PC unless you want endless problems with it!
on 19 March 2017
Good value for your money
on 29 June 2017
It's NOT working on my pc. Asking about serial Numbers, unlock codes, but it's NOT working no matter what I'm pushing and following from advice from youtube
on 14 March 2017
Cool
on 8 July 2017
Good
on 12 November 2016
Came in perfect condition and works ok
on 4 September 2014
Just a small problem that should be advised on description, It is a pain in the ass to make it work o Windows 8... I still couldn`t manage to get this to work online as I ru it on Windows 8
on 16 December 2012
There are many reviews and comments saying that people shouldn't complain if they have a "bad" computer and can't run GTA4 on it. However, my computer meets and exceeds the recommended requirements and therefore should be able to run it, right? Wrong! If the game requires very good hardware, then this should be in the game information, otherwise it's just hit and miss as to whether your specific computer will run it.

So basically, if a game specifies minimum requirements and your computer meets these, then the game should run. No ifs or buts!