on 23 December 2012
Not a grinder for anything but drip and even then I'm not sure. The particle size is all over the place and very uneven, grit and dust is about the best description.
Used for making a moka coffee and even on the finest setting it was full of grit and dust. The flavour was poor and not a patch on my 50 year old hand grinder!
The quality of the grind was so bad that I returned it because I thought there must be a fault. This may be the case but after some research a 'proper' grinder starts from around £250.
Shame the build quality seemed so good as well!
on 5 February 2015
I purchased mine from an independent department store as an ex display unit, so got it at a very attractive price and took a chance without reading any reviews. I'm pleased I didn't as some of the reviews on Amazon are criticising wrong plugs and faulty units etc, nothing I can identify with having purchased what has been a very reliable, well made coffee grinder.

I originally purchased a spice grinder type unit to grind the coffee and to be fair I had success in getting the grind OK at times, but this method really lacked consistency, as you were relying on judging the grind each time as there was no way to preset, you just had to hold the top down until you thought it was about right! Now I have moved on in my quest to make the perfect espresso and I must say the Graef has been a major plus in helping me achieve this.

The grinder is very straight forward to use and holds apprx 250g of beans in the hopper (the pack size sold at Starbucks etc). You simply adjust the grind by turning the unit at the top to click in to your preferred grind setting. I dial into 9/10 which is about half way and fine enough to produce great espresso results with my gaggia cubica. My gaggia might not be the most expensive unit, but it does seem to pair up well with the graef and my espresso is creamy and rich every time. No more inconsistent espresso and truly better than you would get in the average coffee shop.

The only drawback I have found is that it can be a bit messy and the static builds up on the container that holds your grinds.

You can push the group head against the manual button directly under the shute and fill exactly what you need (set on manual) as it stops when you move the head away, or you can just flip the switch to on and this grinds until you switch it off!

Not really any more mess than others I have used and certainly as noisy ( not sure there is such a thing as a quite grinder!)

All in all this is a very stylish, well built grinder that has so far delivered a totally consistent grind that means I just tamp with the same pressure each time and can be assured of great espresso whenever I want!
on 31 August 2012
I bought this item a day before the previous review was posted which mentioned the European type two pin plug and, sure enough... Mine had the Euro plug on it when it arrived too. As I anticipated this happening I had already bought a plug adapter which clips on and is secured by screws. Amazon are not complying with UK regulations as all items sold in the UK must either have a UK plug or come supplied with an adapter which can't be removed without a tool (the screws to hold the case shut in my case).

On to the grinder...

The grinder looks great- the spout looks much less phallic than we anticipated and the Aluminium die cast casing looks fabulous. There are some flaps on the bottom of the bean hopper which close to keep any beans inside the hopper if you need to remove it, thus stopping them from pouring all over the floor!

Grind quality wise: I grind on setting 11 and get a 26-28 second double shot from a non-pressurised portafilter on my Gaggia classic with a light tamp. The grind size appears fairly consistent too. Haven't tried for French Press yet. The "Auto" setting on the switch to grind straight into the portafilter with the micro switch button is a great addition. A fair few grounds get scattered about the worksurface though. It's not a hugely messy grinder but keep a dust pan and brush to hand for a sweep up after each use!

So... A great grinder, just a shame that they don't supply a UK plug or adapter!
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 April 2013
I managed to get my hands on one of these as when I ordered it was limited stock. I'm glad I clicked order as it is excellent. Really handy with the auto function and grinds only the amount of coffee you require at the time - no coffee sitting there and going 'off' after a couple of days, just what you need to use at the time.
on 8 August 2013
I really took a risk buying this grinder as there are very few English Language reviews on the internet. I purchased this as a replacement for my KitchenAid Artisan grinder which I had always been disappointed by, and bearing in mind that the Graef is roughly half the price of the Artisan I was not expecting much. Thankfully this grinder now has me producing perfect espresso coffee. The Graef grinder grinds coffee beans from ultra-fine to coarse, and whilst it does not have the very fine tuning available with the £250 plus grinders, you can get the perfect extraction by adjusting your dosage and tamp.

The finest setting is so fine that you cannot extract using a semi-automatic machine which allows you to work up to a grind level that suits you. One word of caution, before using the machine dismantle the grinder by removing the top and the top grinding plate. The top grinding plate is in a basket with a wire handle and this needed reseating and tightening before use.

My initial grinds were awful and I could not get a fine enough grind to make espresso. I found however that the basket containing the top grinding plate was not fully locked in place. Once locked the machine worked perfectly.

In summary, a very well made, sturdy and quiet machine that does exactly what you want it to.
on 13 January 2014
Hi - Initially this worked really well but unfortunately It gets easily clogged up and is very difficult to clean to make it work again.

regards
Janette
on 25 September 2012
Bought this to replace a Dualit grinder that had worked well for several years before the worn out burrs were no longer up to producing espresso. Was a little sceptical about spending so much on a grinder - as much as the Gaggia it is used with - but the first shot, even without dialling in the grind, was by far the best the machine has produced. Contra the other reviews, this one came with a UK plug, and if day 1 is anything to go by I can only say that I wish I'd bought this grinder years ago. I thought the Dualit was good (& still do) but this is definitely a more than worthwhile upgrade.
on 20 December 2014
Bought this grinder 2 years ago and has never let me down yet. Yes like all food type machine products you have to clean them. Its not to difficult to do once you read the instructions. Only negative is it does produce a bit of coffee dust hence 4 stars other than that its brilliant. I would buy another.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 December 2013
Nice grinder. Gives good range of grind for different coffee types like filter coffee, espresso and Turkish coffee.
I would love grind-steps to be a bit smaller though for better espresso-grind for different beans, but this is usually feature of much more expensive grinders ;-)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 November 2012
Have this for couple of days and so far happy with the purchase. The grind is fine easily enough for my Gaggia classic. The only thing that might annoying is that the coffee after the grind stays in the rubber neck and it has to be shaked/tapped of otherwise end up on your top/table/etc. It is quiet (as per grinder) and well build. The base nice and heavy and its not moving when starting with a portafilter.

See one answered question