The Gothic King - a Biography of Henry III Paperback – 20 Apr 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This is a pretty concise examination of Henry s life, and I occasionally got lost in the blur of squabbling barons, but as a primer to his rule, it s a most enjoyable, and long overdue, work. --The Crack magazine
In The Gothic King: A Biography of Henry III, John Paul Davis brings one of England s most obscure monarchs to life. --The Medieval Book Reviews
About the Author
Still only in his twenties, JOHN PAUL DAVIS is rapidly establishing a following as a popular historian, with accessible and innovative biographies of familiar English figures. He was a consultant on The Alan Titchmarsh Show during their Guy Fawkes Night special and is a regular contributor to radio and T.V. history programmes
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The author has taken pains to offer Henry's life (65 years) and reign (56 years) in a chronological approach, which makes this work very accessible to someone who may not have much knowledge of the period. The writing is straightforward and engaging, and Henry's life and rule are certainly interesting enough to capture the reader's interest. There is a good bibliography offering many current works for anyone who would like to pursue topics further. This is a really good popular history book and should make welcome reading to anyone interested in Henry III's life and times.
This book pairs well with the new biography of Eleanor de Montfort by Louise Wilkinsons, as well.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A king that reigned for so long, with really not much happening that people would remember. What did happen though, civil war, reissuing of Magna Carta, annoying the French and... Read morePublished 16 months ago by S. D. Smith
This book slightly disappoints as it is rather thin for a very lond reign so detail is rather lacking. Read morePublished on 18 July 2014 by Clio
Henry III was either the most boring of the Plantagenet kings or this was the most boring biography I've ever read - I suspect it is the latter. Read morePublished on 7 April 2014 by Wendy Dirks
A first-class delivery of this biography of England's longest reigning medieval monarch. The item arrived ahead of schedule and was superbly packaged. Read morePublished on 7 April 2014 by Mr Tim Cole
This was a good read, and the writer had clearly done his homework. Some maps would have helped, and perhaps a slightly more thematic approach at times, but it's clearly the best... Read morePublished on 19 Jan. 2014 by charles linfield
While reading books on history (around 5 per week) I note personages who might be of interest so that I can feed my reading habit. Read morePublished on 21 May 2013 by Boyd Hone
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > British Royalty
- Books > Biography > Historical > 501-1000
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Early British to Anglo-Saxon: BCE-1000 AD
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Royalty
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > British Heads of State
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500