Top critical review
6 people found this helpful
Okay. Does it's job. Not the overall best design.
on 15 June 2014
I bought these shorts because I needed a cargo short that better withstood the wear that comes from the various commutes that I make. I also liked the idea of having a little more comfort provided by the chamois and the option to remove the chamois as one does not like to be wearing a chamois all day.
- The fabric seems to be very well suited to the task. It is also light, easy moving and quick drying. I bought Gore shorts as I hoped the fabric would be riding abrasion resistant and it is a bit early to judge that.
- The item has downward-facing zips so that the pockets won't open whilst riding.
- Construction and stitching seems to be well done.
- Fit is okay and item looks pretty good.
- I like the reflective detailing, but cannot judge as to its effectiveness.
- The chamois does it's required job, when riding.
- Pockets are quite large. One cargo pocket zip closure, the other cargo pocket velcro closure.
- The chamois is attached to the mesh shorts liner which means that it is not flush with the body. This isn't really a problem when riding as the chamois is large and will cover the necessary areas. However, when off the bike it feels like one is wearing some form of weird adult diaper and pushes the front and back of the short in weird ways. Many reviewers have written of cutting the chamois down and I am considering doing that as well. I would say that the photo of the item is when it does not have the chamois inserted.
- The pulls for adjusting the waist are elastic and do not stay set in the clasps meant to hold them - they work loose, little by little over time. There are many superior methods of making an adjustable waist that they could have gone with. If you fit the shorts perfectly then these will be good, but if you don't then the adjustment mechanism is a design flaw.
- The cargo pockets are large, but when they have items in them (even quite small items) they bounce around quite a bit as one is riding. It's an annoyance more than an hindrance.
- I have stopped putting the chamois in as it is too weird when off the bike.
Overall, the shorts are okay. I would not pay this price again for them, but I probably would buy another pair if they were on sale / substantial discount as they look good enough when I'm not riding (My job requires smart-sport-casual with versatility and has a fair bit of commuting). The two big flaws are fit adjustment being inferior and the chamois cut/feel when off the bike.