The Google Story Paperback – 7 Nov 2008
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
a gripping book, written like a detective story...expertly told -- Daily Mail --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Inside the hottest business, media and technology success of our timeSee all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
There is little, if any, attempt to provide any significant critical perspective of the founders or of Google itself.
Whole sections of the book in fact read like public relations puff and the parts on the rivalry with Microsoft are very one-sided.
All in all, it's a very disappointing read !!
I get the feeling that the reader is being taken on the same journey as the writer; From "Do No Evil" to "Do Lots of Good, but turn a blind eye if it makes Google lots of money".
In 2007 it could do with some updates to do with the latest news, but gives a great history of internet search as well as Google
Ultimately a very good book, let down from 5 stars by some repetition from chapter to chapter
There's also some degree of repetition across the chapters, which makes them read more like self-contained magazine articles instead of pieces of a coherent whole. But in general, I found this an entertaining read, and an interesting story about how Google has changed the world over the past couple of decades. On a personal note, I was also surprised to discover from this book that one of my (vanishingly tenuously linked) associates from the field of computer graphics in the early 90's had shared an office with Google's founders at Stanford. It's a small, joined-up world.
The book also covers on how they hired their first CEO, how Doodle, Google News and Gmail came about. A famous Google head chef Charlie Ayers is mentioned in the book as well. And some of the final chapters describe some of the legal cases Google faced, the plans to scan every single book out there, competition from Microsoft, China and much more.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I was very disappointed with this book, in the main it's pretty badly written and not enjoyable to read which makes it hard-going. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Andrew B.
The book is interesting. It couldn't be otherwise since the topic is one of the most popular and profitable companies in the world. Read morePublished on 25 July 2014 by Mavenick
The story of Google is very interesting, hence four stars, but the author is a bit too much in awe of the founders for my taste. Read morePublished on 28 May 2013 by Random customer
Well worth a read for anyone considering going into business or for anyone who needs a little inspiration. Great value too.Published on 23 Mar. 2013 by A Smith
This book seems very outdated now. It is also written in a style which puts the author in the fanboy category.Published on 14 Nov. 2012 by Håvard
Tracks Goggles beginnings in University through to company set up, becoming market leader and IPO. Well written and engaging. Read morePublished on 28 Sept. 2012 by Prosserc
An incredible story of ingenuity. Makes me wish I'd thought of it in the early days of the internet.Published on 3 April 2011 by Nuno Bento
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Company Histories
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Careers > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > E-Commerce > E-business
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > E-Commerce > Managers' Guides to Computing
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Professional Finance
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Inventions
- Books > Reference > Directories
- Books > Science & Nature