on 20 August 2012
I bought this for use in a 1st floor study. I wanted to be able to use a variety of sources (DAB radio, CD and MP3 player). Personally, I don't use an iPod but I have borrowed one to test and it seems to work well. The system is compact, and looks smart and suitably understated. The sound quality is more than acceptable and the sound output is fine for anything less than a party (I am listening to Radio 4 at level 8 and it goes up to level 32!). Since there is an On/Off timer facility, one could use it as an alarm clock; there is also a "sleep timer". You can download a manual from Goodmans to learn more - (Google Micro1470DABi IB.pdf).

I have three (possibly negative) observations which cause me reluctantly to mark it down to just 4 stars:

The DAB doesn't seem great at picking up a signal and you appear not to be able to fit an external DAB antenna. This isn't a problem to me but might be an issue if you live in an area where you have poor DAB reception.

When I bought this, I also bought a 1m 3.5mm Jack Cable - Premium Quality / 24k Gold Plated / Audio / Stereo / Male to Male to allow me to connect up an MP3 player. If you leave the jack cable plugged into the "Line In" socket on the Goodmans system but not into anything at the other end with Aux-In selected, you get a distinct hum, a bit like a ground (earth) loop. I have tried three different jack cables and the fault is not with the cable. Again, not a serious problem but a bit surprising.

The volume control is a rotary knob which you twist anti-clockwise to reduce the volume and clockwise to increase it. what is not immediately apparent is that you twist the knob about 30° against a stop and then have to twist it a bit further, against a spring to effect the change (up or down) - this isn't a problem, just slightly confusing.

All in all, very good value and perfect if you don't have a weak DAB signal. I did consider much more expensive devices (e.g. the £220 Roberts Sound 100) but wasn't convinced that the extra cost was justified.

WOULD BUY AGAIN!
on 17 October 2012
Purchased this for my daughters bedroom for which it is perfect. Looks good and works great for CDs, i-pod and DAB. The speakers produce a good, clear, crisp sound for small units and are ideal for a smallish room, but if you like a lot of bass they won't be for you. Very good product for the price.
on 31 May 2012
I had been looking for a sound system which would allow me to listen to DAB radio, CD and ipod. I am pleased with the quality and the ease of use for each medium - good qualitysound and the compact look of the system mean it can fit in with my traditional cottage style home. Good value for money.
on 30 October 2012
Great, good sound just what I have been looking for fits in fine with the kitchen nice and neat. Would recommend.
on 2 January 2013
This little DAB unit has everything I want, I have wired it into existing speakers so the sound is good too, however, the volume control could go up higher as the existing speakers could cope with more. Other than that it is a great unit.
on 30 April 2014
Excelllent sound reproduction and the remote allows my daughter to listen to what she wants in her cabin bed with the radio across her bedroom. If buying this for teen's bedroom, buy some wireless headphones too, or headphones with a long lead.
on 1 September 2014
I received the Goodmans Micro1470DABI CD System within the day excepted and was very happy with the product, it has got everything I want on it and its a nice little System,
I will recommend family and friends to it, in fact I have some many compliments from my friends about it.
The item came 3 days before the date of the time and date expected
on 10 June 2013
This system is very good for the money and sound is fine for what you are paying.
However, we have had a bad experience, which no-one else seems to be having.
We connected the IPOD and it didnt really register it was connected, though still played the music from it. The system then switches to Standby every 15 minutes, I guess because it thinks nothing is connected, even though it is playing. We returned the unit and they sent a replacement. The new one seemed to register the IPOD to start with and then 1 month in it started to do the same thing again and so we are now very fed up with this system and are returning for a refund. Im going to look at Phillips which are more expensive, but assume will not have the same problem.
on 7 May 2014
Speakers had background noise that was really annoying and detracted from enjoyment. returned item. Did not replace will make do with old Tesco system.
on 12 April 2013
I thought the Goodmans name would be a mark of quality, but this item looks cheap and fragile. The volume button is horrendous! Luckily, the remote control can be used to change the volume and the functions on the system, otherwise I think the buttons would probably have broken by now!