on 8 December 2000
After the death of my cat of 15 years I was devastated, yet few people seemed to understand my grief. This book helped me realise that I was not going out of my mind & that my feelings were both valid & normal. It has sections explaining the grieving process and the practicalities of dealing with the death of a pet, alongside some often moving poetry & accounts of the experiences of others. My one criticism is that it sometimes seems to be aimed at dog owners. However, this is one of the few British books available on pet bereavement (amongst a plethora of American titles!), which made it easy to relate to from a cultural perspective. I would definitely recommend this book to other bereaved pet owners, so that they too can see that many people DO understand their grief and have been able to overcome this in their own time.
11 Comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2009
What a wonderful, touching book and really helpful. Having recently had to euthanize my 3 1/2 year old dog (due to illness) and struggling to come to terms with it, this book really helped me to put it into perspective and move a little bit further on. I recommend it to anyone who has lost an animal whom they loved very much and felt the devastation that that brings. It is in general, more aimed at the loss of a dog but does cover other animal's as well and contains some lovely poems and stories with further support and contact information at the end. It also manages to cover any aspect of loosing a pet from euthanasia to the lost and found. I found it useful to read in stages, a chapter a night to fully be able to digest the information. Be prepared for lots of crying.
on 25 May 2009
I bought this book to send to a friend in New Zealand who had just lost her much loved pet dog. It seemed such a coincidence to read a review in a National newspaper just a couple of days after the dog died. My friend and her husband found great comfort in the various short stories, poems, advice etc - so much so that she intends passing it on to her local vet, so that others may read it.
on 18 June 2009
Having suddenly had to have my dear cat put to sleep last year, I was and still am devastated. I felt terrible for having to make the decision to let her go. Since then, only my husband and my vet truly recognise my grief. My boss at the time more or less told me to pull myself together. This book however has shown me that my grief is not weird or abnormal and that thousands of bereaved pet owners suffer on a daily basis, often sinking into deep depression and suicidal thoughts. For anyone that is or has struggled to accept or cope with losing a pet, please read this and you'll at least feel you're not alone in your grief.
on 3 June 2011
When my elderly Lurcher was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, I was utterly devastated.I did not opt for amputation of her limb, as so often in these cases, the cancer has spread before it is detected, and too often a dog gets over surgery, only to have to be euthanased as the cancer has spread to the lungs.
Oh, the grief and agony of these terrible decisions.
Twiggy was a wonderful companion dog, an RSPCA ''found abandoned'' dog, but she truly was a gift to us- perfect in every way, and a great companion to my son,and the thought of life sans Twiggy was just too awful to contemplate.
However, I read this enlightening book while Twiggy was still with us, and it was a huge help. No-nonsense, no waffle about ''rainbow bridges'', but I was left comforted.
The weight of grief we felt before Twiggy died was immense, and anyone who has a terminally ill pet will do a fair bit of ''pre-grieving'', and reading other people's experiences made me feel less isolated, as I really feared for how I would cope when she eventually died.

I have had very lucid dreams of Twiggy since, as has my son,and also dreamed of our other dear departed whippet, Tiny, and I like to think we will be re-united with our dear pets when we too die.
Dealing with grief is one of the most painful things we do as humans-and often people cope with the loss of a partner, then go to pieces when a pet dies. This is explained in the book too.

Pet loss can be just as painful as ''human'' loss, as pets have an ''innocence'' about them, and there is not the complex emotion that can get in the way like when a beloved human dies.
on 4 June 2009
After having to say goodnight to my gorgeus little girl, Bella, (a nearly 14 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel)four weeks ago I was completely unprepared for the total despair, and almost paralysing grief that I felt, and was desperate for some comfort that even my husband could not give me, despite his best efforts. This book put into words the things I coudn't say and reassured me that I was not the only one to feel this way and that eventually I would begin to feel a little better. I haven't managed to get through a day without tears yet but it is slowly getting less painful and I have also had try to keep my other Cavalier going as long as physically possible even though he is 15 next week and deteriorating rapidly. This is a lovely book although, be warned, you will need an enormous box of tissues close at hand to read it, especially the poems. Compared to another book that I bought by an American author I felt that I could relate better to this book as it was more "down to earth" but still sensitive at the same time. I do feel that it is geared more towards the dog owner but I am sure it would still be comforting to other pet owners also.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to anyone reading this review who has also recently lost their own "little shadow" and dear companion.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
After the loss of my lovely dog I am beside myself with grief. This book helped me to understand that I am not alone in my grieving for an animal, and that it is not wrong or mad or stupid. She was and is my best friend and I ache for her. These words are a great comfort, thank you.
on 21 October 2014
Feeling totally distraught this book has helped me move a little closer to dealing with the loss of my much loved cat Poppy.
on 25 September 2010
This book is beautiful with poems and stories. I dont know what i was expecting, something hopefully to ease the pain of the loss of our pet, this book certainly is helping me come to terms with it all. I dont really get on much with poetry though. :0)
on 4 May 2014
This books helps you realise that you arent the only one who feels the way you do when your beloved pet dies and to know that its all happened before to others is a great comfort.