TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2014
I read this because I was fascinated to hear a recent BBC documentary which claimed that this book was partly responsible for poisoning public opinion on the war. It's worth reading to test that assertion alone and for many other reasons, including some of the details of trench warfare, his fascinating relationship with Seigfried Sassoon, some of the events away from battle, and Martin Jarvis's excellent reading.

(I liked it so much I went on the buy his novels of the American war of independence. That was a mistake.)

If you are interested in the war I wholeheartedly recommend reading this and All Quiet on the Western Front which, by departing from strict truth, somehow tells a deeper truth. It also includes a great deal of research on the detail of trench warfare (while Graves limits himself to what he can remember). An absolute gem which you might not know about is The Ice-Cream War by William Boyd, about the first world war in Africa. If you want to read just one novel about the war, pick that one and you won't regret it.
on 17 April 2014
To all WW1 enthusiasts out there who may be prejudiced about reading a poet's sentimental autobiography, please do not ignore this book. The insight into his childhood and homo-erotic schoolboy days are interesting reading and reflect the period and social class very well - it gives insight into the minds and decisions of many young public schoolboys of that era who led men into battle in WW1. The book is full of excellent anecdotes and his time in the trenches is extremely interesting, informative and as good as any historical war diary or modern history book. I have to admit that I was prejudiced towards this book but have been greatly enriched by reading it - I'd advise you to do the same; you also get an insight into other WW1 poets and also other intellectuals and famous characters of the time. Beautifully written and very enjoyable; you feel as though you really get to know him. Personally, I failed to understand his sexuality, but this is not important or relevant to the brilliance of the book
on 14 April 2013
If you want to get a flavour of what young men thought and went through in the first world war, (including death), I cannot recommend this book enough. I found it sad and harrowing in places and it brought home to me the futility of war and the needless death on both sides. Pawns of the warmongers and politicians springs to mind.

solmagwind
on 12 June 2017
Well written social history about the first half of the 20th century.
on 30 November 2015
its a good read. bit slow if im honest. takes about 100 pages before he gets to ww1. but then again its not essentially a ww1 book its just memoirs
on 24 March 2016
A moving read. Funny and fatalistic. One scene, where the men enter into a battle is graphically retold.
on 29 November 2016
Good Value CD. well worth the price
on 27 September 2016
good read
on 22 October 2014
This is a work of genious. I last read it 30 years ago and was delighted to become re aquinted . Very moving, beautifully written
on 8 October 2014
We had this for our book club and I'm afraid I struggled with it and didn't enjoy it.