on 6 August 2011
This book was suggested by my health professional, but I have to say I was disappointed. The information is very basic and didn't tell me anything I hadn't already worked out for myself! Unlike other baby books where I've highlighted sections of, and turned corners on pages etc, this book got read once and then put away.
on 13 April 2012
We were recommended to sleep train our 8 month old when he was feeding 4/5x a night (!) and not eating much during the day.
Night 1 he woke once and cried for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Night 2 he woke once and cried for 40 minutes. Night 3 he woke 0 times and slept from 7-7! He is now not feeding at night and is eating lots and lots during the day. Day time naps have improved too.
I like the no nonsense approach to this book. It is easy for baby and parents to succeed if you follow the plan. I wish I had bought this months ago. I wouldn't sleep train my baby before 6 months, but knowing some of the ideas in the early stages may have helped.
on 17 November 2012
This was recommended to me by a friend when I told her my baby's sleep pattern had regressed.

I have not tried the 'programme' so cannot comment on its effectiveness but I have to say, I found it a really unsettling read.

Leaving aside whether I agree with the principle of controlled crying or of feeding on demand, I felt that there were parts of this book that were actually destructive to a new mother. Especially in the 'Results and Frequently Asked Questions' section. Under the heading 'What to do if things don't work' the reader is advised to ask herself 'Have we really bonded with the baby' because 'if he does not feel loved ... this could cause babies to cry at night'.

I think it is absolutely disgusting to suggest to, presumably, sleep-deprived and potentially vulnerable new parents that their baby feels unloved. How damaging, accusing and unhelpful.
on 2 August 2011
Our 8 month old boy was still waking up 2 or 3 times a night and my wife bought this book following a recommendation from a nurse. I was sceptical about this at first but agreed that we'd give it a go, and am very glad we did. After 1 night of controlled crying as per the books guidance our boy now sleeps though from 8pm until 6am, which is a vast improvement. I was very surprised about how successful it has been in so short a space of time, but I'm not complaining!
The book is quite quick to read, and easy to understand. I think the basic idea behind it is simple & could fit on a post-it note, but it's quite good to get some background & read about case studies.
on 14 December 2011
If your baby is not settling down to sleep after a few months I would really recommend this book. It is extremely easy to read (great for parents who are sleep-deprived!) and was extremely effective in dealing with our 8 month old's sleeping issues.
on 6 October 2014
quick delivery, did take some good advice from this book with my second child.
on 26 December 2011
Brilliant, common-sense sympathetic but unsentimental approach to how your child goes to sleep. We started the programme four days ago (our daughter is nearly seven months old) and we had an hour of crying the first night and the last three have been 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Highly recommended reading.
on 5 December 2014
i had read the reviews before purchasing, and they varied from 5 stars to "if i could, i'd give it minus1 stars".
Im of the later. I'm half way through reading, and i've yet to read any actual method as to how to help my baby sleep. it just keeps pointing out the obvious - babies who sleep are happier / mothers need sleep/ have a bed time routine / keep the room quiet.... Well duh!! It doesn't give any practical suggestions as to how to remedy sleep issues. What i wanted was methods to help my baby sleep, not someone pointing out the obvious and then repeating the same points incessantly!
REALLY hoping it redeems itself in the second half. VERY happy i only paid a penny for it!