on 30 March 2017
Very good quality. The book doesn't even look like it's ever been used. Great price, great service thank you.
on 18 March 2013
I bought this book at the launch party in Bristol a few nights ago. I had gone not planning to buy anything at all -- trying to restrain myself as I already have far too many cookery books -- but then Genevieve Taylor read an excerpt and I found myself wanting to know more.

The book is organized as a daily diary, divided into four sections (the seasons), and is a record of Taylor's first year as a hen-keeper. Each section kicks off with a short essay summing up what the coming season means to Taylor; how it shapes her routines and influences the food she likes to cook. The hens pop up frequently throughout the book, but it must be made clear that this is not a manual on how to keep hens, and neither is it all about eggs. Rather it's a wonderful collection of really mouthwatering recipes threaded together with diary entries and musings on the changes occurring in Taylor's garden as one season gives way to another and family life ebbs and flows (she has two young children). There are lots of delicious cakes which range from classics such as coffee and walnut through to rhubarb and almond streusel cake and the divine-sounding peach and almond cake with lavender syrup. On the savoury side the recipes include simple dishes such as a nice-sounding take on the classic carbonara and a wild garlic omelette. There are also plenty of interesting and unusual recipes too, such as Malaysian egg and aubergine curry, pumpkin and green lentil moussaka and Baghdad eggs with herb yogurt and pitta crisps.

I haven't cooked anything from the book yet, but have courgette and lime muffins in my sights, along with a watercress and brie flamiche. All in all it's very engagingly written and should appeal to anyone interested in seasonal cooking, particularly those who grow their own fruit and veg whether on an allotment, in their back garden or on a balcony.
on 18 March 2017
Great egg recipe book. Wide range of recipes, both sweet and savoury. I am pleased with my purchase and would buy again.
on 11 April 2013
This is a beautiful book, it feels like a family heirloom and it is bound to end up being just that.
I've wanted chickens for years now and have many books on keeping them. But this is so much more than that. It covers living with chickens and most importantly what to do with their precious cargo. The recipes are easy to follow and never strive too far from from what they are intended to be, a diary of a food lover and a hen keeper.
Eggs are a wonderful thing and this book shines a light on that.
I'd recommend this to everyone.
on 20 March 2013
This is a beautiful book.

It fits in the hand like a kitchen diary and is full of tastebud-jangling photography. This is not an egg-a-day affair, it is a food-lover's journal. Genevieve Taylor revives old classics (Queen of Puddings being a hit) and presses into newer territory, all the while narrating a story of food and family. And that is where the heart is; this book is full of love. It is impossible to read it without feeling cared for and nourished, without feeling the author's desire to feed you well.

I promise that when you pick it up, your next steps will be to the kitchen.
on 5 April 2013
This is so much more than a cookery book. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the daily accounts with as much interest as the recipes. Give yourself time to enjoy the Authors interesting accounts of cooking, I lose myself in the book unlike other cookbooks I own.
The book itself has a beautiful ,simplistic but stylish cover & lovely photos through out. I am looking forward to making the Chinese egg & prawn custard as my children love Chinese food. I also love the fact I am reminded which foods are in season as so often in our busy lives we end up buying similar foods week after week. I am feeling more adventurous & inspired after reading this book & I would recommend it to anyone of any age with an interest in food & cooking.
This is not the first book I own by this Author & my children & I especially love Marshmallow magic. If you have a sweet tooth this is a really fun book to own. You will be delighted with both these books & I always find my friends looking through them when they pop in for a cuppa.
on 20 March 2013
I love the fact the A Good Egg tells a story and not just a cookery book on a shelf . Genevieve Taylor is not a Author but a wife & a mother who is a amazing food writer. It is a food lover `s journal. A must to have in the kitchen, as this book is "full of love."

A Good Egg is a record of Taylor's 1st year as a hen-keeper, what seasons means to her and how it influences the food she cooks. It is a fabulous collection of really delicious recipes, this his book no way about eggs neither a manual about how to keep hens !!!
on 30 March 2013
Having enjoyed Genevieve Taylor's book on stews, I was keen to read her latest title.

She takes us through a year of hen-keeping, sharing anecdotes and thoughts and references to the changing seasons, whilst all the time sharing recipes that make good use of the eggs her little flock provide.

In some recipes eggs are the focus, in others a mere supporting ingredient. The dishes are hugely diverse too and there are some to suit those times when something quick and simple is called foe and some you'll need to invest more time on. A few are solidly seasonal, using wild garlic in March, rhubarb in April, Jersey Royals in June but many are simply recipes that appealed to Genevieve at that moment, such as Portuguese custard tarts or coffee custard with bananas.

For an experienced cook, some of the recipes are very simple but even then, they serve to remind us of ideas we've overlooked for a while, such as the omelette with wild garlic leaves and caerphilly (which I substituted with cheddar, more to my taste) I had for lunch today. Having wild garlic growing in the back garden, the omelette wasn't a revolutionary idea but was a welcome and timely reminder of the pleasure of a quick and simple omelette together with the gentle garlic flavour from the leaves.

There are many recipes I've bookmarked and am looking forward to trying.
on 7 April 2013
Eggs are probably my favourite food and so I was very happy to find this book. So far I have made the Salt and Pepper Scotch Eggs and Falafel Eggs, a great alternative for a vegetarian Scotch egg, both came out very well. The recipes cover simple everyday meals, like the Florentine-style spinach and egg tarts that can be made with freezer stand-bys, to more exotic dishes like Chakchouka with merguez sausages and baked eggs (which I definitely want to try). There are also old time favourites like Coffee and walnut cake and inspiring variations on scrambled eggs, Huevos revueltos with asparagus and prawns, and omelettes, with Caerphilly & wild garlic and Tortilla Espanola with smoky tomato sauce.
The book follows a year in Genevieve Taylor's cooking life and all I can say is "quelle chance" for her friends and family if the photos are anything to go by. It is a beautifully produced book, with lovely sketches of Genevieve's 'girls', the chickens that laid her eggs.
on 7 May 2013
This is a book that not only looks delicious but also delivers delicious recipes. Genevieve writes in a casual 'busy-Mum' style that I immediately connected with. The recipes are simple, tasty and use fresh ingredients (and eggs of course!). This Bank Holiday weekend we tried out three of the recipes; the 'coffee and walnut cake' (be warned there is a small typo - it should read 1 tsp baking powder, not tbsp!), the 'warm Portuguese custard tarts' and the 'almond thins' biscuits from the 'Seville orange mousse with almond thins recipe'. All of the recipes tasted delicious and were enjoyed with an assortment of our neighbours who licked their plates clean! I am now looking forward to trying some of the main courses.