Customer reviews

10,446
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2015
I am going to attempt to review this book without giving any significant plot-lines away. Which is really hard to do as the plot is tightly woven and spoilers and revelations dominate the story line.

Firstly let me explain why Gone Girl only received four stars. This book was so close to a five-star rating but then the ending appeared. The book should have ended much sooner, instead I was left with an extremely disappointing ending. There were so many places the book could have stopped that would have left me in suspense or even wishing that the writer had written more. Instead I wish Flynn had stopped sooner.

But that is the only bit of moaning that you will get from me!

The book’s narrative is divided between the two main characters – Nick and Amy. Nick’s narrative begins from the day Amy goes missing, while Amy’s narrative (her diary) starts five years ago, on the day the couple met.

The story begins slowly exploring Nick and Amy’s relationship, their marriage woes and their financial troubles. While Nick is constantly questioned by the police and by Amy’s own parents. The second half of the story speeds up the pace as the characters reveal their true personalities and motives into Amy’s disappearance – and there’s a revelation, which was a shock.

The revelations in the book make it impossible to choose who is to blame for Amy’s disappearance. You think you have it figured out, your finger is about to point at someone, and then your theories get destroyed.

This book will make you question how well you really know someone. Do you know the real person or the mask? What motivates them?

Overall you may despise the characters, think that Nick and Amy both deserve each other but you will be completely drawn into this book as you are manipulated by the characters and begin to attempt to solve the crime yourself
on 8 January 2015
Book club choice and wasn't sure what I would make of this book but very quickly in it had me intrigued and wanting to know more. With half of the first part of the book taking the form of diary entries by the "gone girl", it took me a while to really realise that everything I had read in the first part of the book was not as it seemed and there was a nefarious reason for the tone of these diary entries. Lots of twists and turns with clues all along the way if you are observant enough to notice them (most occurred to me further in so I obviously need to work on that !)

There is a lot to enjoy in this book - I haven't seen the film yet so no idea how it compares - but the reason it's a 4 for me is the ending left me a little disappointed. I can't tell if there's a likelihood of a sequel or if the author has deliberately left it in this open-ended way which allows you to come to your own conclusions about what the future holds for her characters. I suspect it's the latter and judging by the reactions of my book club, some will love and some will hate that.

One of the better books I've read this year, will be looking for more of this author's work.
on 25 May 2013
I bought this book to keep me diverted through the tedious parts of travelling and it delivered on that, hence the four stars. It started off very well. Nick's wife Amy has disappeared and we have his account of the attempts to find her and the increasing stress and suspicion he is under. Alternate chapters are Amy's diary, detailing their relationship from the beginning and the pressures on it in post-recession America. I really liked this approach, which was partly crime story and partly love story. The writing is clever and I liked the way the characters are portrayed as products of their very different backgrounds.

Halfway through there is an audacious plot twist, audacious because it takes some believing, but also because the author has to carry the reader through the rest of the book when the main mystery has been explained. From this point on, the book becomes a psychological thriller and the writing isn't nearly as sharp. The author does manage to keep control of her increasingly complex plot and it fair rattles along at the end, but at times, I found it difficult to care what happens.
on 16 November 2014
I found the first half of the book quite boring. It was too slow and the author kept waffling on about stuff that was nothing to do with the story. This happened too much and I was on the verge of giving up and reading something else but 52% in it started to get interesting and then I couldn't put it down. The book makes you like and dislike each character all the way through and constantly change your mind and opinion on who to like. I enjoyed the second half of the book but I was a bit surprised with the ending.
on 10 April 2017
I found this to be a page turner, and in the first book the story is told from two persons' different perspective and you have an affinity to one of them. This is flipped on its head in the second book, and by the end you realise it's purely about how one person can have power over another. I felt that some of the sexual language was a bit over the top and could have been just as enjoyable without it, hence only four stars
on 10 April 2015
Not my normal read but wanted to give it a go and then see the film. Part one very good nice build up to a mystery story. Part two, shock horror and still a good read. Part three, and this is were the problem s start. Just got the feeling that both me and the author thought how is this going to end. Not your usual Hollywood ending which is a good thing but also not the ending that would happen in real life. Interesting to see how Hollywood ends this story.
on 19 May 2013
This was an intriguing read. The first half built up tension nicely, and clever in the way it made you wonder who the guilty party was. I liked the central characters and felt the idea of Amy living up to the perfect 'Amazing Amy' created by her psychologist parents very neat. However, like others I really didn't like the ending. I'm not sure it could have worked. I can think of a much better ending, which I can't write here as it would give the story away. However, I'm going to imagine that ending exists and then it becomes satisfying and the culprit gets their comeuppance!
on 28 January 2014
When a book receives as much hype as this one, it's hard not to be either overly critical or washed away in the buzz. Within a couple of pages I knew that I enjoyed Gillian Flynn writing style, modern, vivid, cutting and witty. The narration alters between two main characters, and the short (often cliffhanger-style) ending of the chapters give it a great thriller pace. Overall there is a great sense that this novel has been crafted, making this a very enjoyable, and at times disturbing read. There are some unusual choices in some of the plot twists, and perhaps the feeling of rushing too quickly to the ending. Many reviews have claimed the ending unsatisfactory (no spoilers here!) I take these points but wonder more that the ending seemed a little rushed, and might have benefitted from holding back the pace a little.
Despite this, the originality and the Gillian Flynn's writing style have own me over, and I will be seeking out more of her books.
on 19 May 2017
As I started this book I wasn't too sure about it and considering putting it down But as I got a few chapters in I couldn't put it down. What a twist and unnerving story. Someone could think so deeply and plan so much. An unsettling end to the story. Wish the truth had come out maybe it will in a sequel.
on 21 May 2017
Incredible read, you had me screaming with fury at the ending! Much better than the film, would recommend to anyone who likes crime thrillers and mysteries.