Burke, Paine, Godwin, and the Revolution Controversy (Cambridge English Prose Texts) Hardcover – 14 Jun 1984
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Cambridge English Prose Texts are devoted to selections of non-fictional English prose of the late sixteenth to the mid seventeenth centuries. This volume centres on the great Revolution debate of the 1790s, inspired by the French Revolution. The debate consists of a series of works which depend for their meaning on one another, and upon the historical situation which gave them birth.
About the Author
Marilyn Butler (1937 2014) was a prominent scholar in eighteenth-century and Romantic studies, a groundbreaking practitioner and theorist of the historicist criticism of literary texts, and pioneering scholarly editor of hitherto marginalized women writers. Her widely acclaimed publications include Maria Edgeworth: A Literary Biography (1972), Jane Austen and the War of Ideas (1975), Peacock Displayed: A Satirist in his Context (1979), Romantics, Rebels and Reactionaries: English Literature and its Background, 1760 1830 (1981), and seminal scholarly editions of works by Mary Wollstonecraft, Maria Edgeworth, Mary Shelley and Jane Austen. She was King Edward VII Professor of English Literature at the University of Cambridge from 1986 to 1993, and Rector of Exeter College, Oxford, from 1993 to 2004. Mapping Mythologies, finished in 1984, but never hitherto published, is the first volume of a never-completed larger project on literary mythologies between 1730 and 1830. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Europe