- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
God's People in God's Land: Family, Land, and Property in the Old Testament Paperback – 1 Nov 1990
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Aside from that, Wright does a good job at exploring the debated status of three groups of "dependents" in the Old Testament: wives, children, and slaves. He shows how the Old Testament strongly recognizes their dignity and protects their humanity under the Law, even as persons within a patriarchal structure. Stand-outs include his interesting case for the right of slaves to initiate legal suits against their masters as well as his investigation of the divergent sets of slave release laws, namely the 7-year release plan and the 50-year Jubilee.
Wright's dialogue with the relevant scholarship is healthy, without drowning the reader, and in the final chapter, he makes a brief but articulate call for a "paradigmatic" application of Old Testament principles today, even though this work is not primarily focused on modern-day application. Due to this, readers will be curious to explore how to apply other parts of the Mosaic Law related to the topics surveyed by Wright (such as concubinage, perpetual slavery of foreigners, etc.). Still, God's People in God's Land remains a helpful corrective to modern misconceptions of Old Testament ethics.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Commentaries
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Criticism & Interpretation
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Christian Living
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)