on 23 July 1996
God & the Big Bang is a well written and very interesting
synthesis of concepts from Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism) and
science (physics/cosmology). Matt describes the Big Bang
in layman's terms from both the scientific and the Kabbalistic
perspectives. There is a passage Matt quotes from Kabbalah
that sounds exactly like a poetic description of the Big Bang.
Kabbalah describes creation as involving "the shattering of
glass vessels" which is a poetic way of describing the
broken symmetry theory of physics. An important contribution
of the book is that it ties Torah, the source of Jewish law
(and underpinning for Christian and Moslem law), into his
perspective of God. Kabbalah purports to answer one question
currently plaguing scientists: Kabbalah seems to favor a closed universe.
on 24 December 1997
I took Danny Matt's class in "God and the Big Bang" in Berkeley. Matt in person is witty, intelligent and educated. In print, he is even more so. His science is strong, his kabbalah is flawless. There are parallels between this book and Capra's Buddist/science books, but where Capra is trying to prove something, Matt is just pointing out interesting facts. Anyone interested in science or theology would enjoy this book.
on 18 March 2015
A previous reviewer of this book gave it one star and said that Dan Matt had not managed to provide a synthesis of spiritualty and science, but had managed to “tear down both”. Personally I fail to see how anyone could come to see the book from this perspective. This leads me to one f two conclusions. Either (1) that reviewer did not actually read the book, or read it when his attention span was at a low ebb, or (2) he did read it but entirely missed the point.

From my perspective this is one more book that goes on the list of “Most Important Books I Have Ever Read”. There is a part of me that is a mystic, but another part which is a sceptic. Rarely …. very rarely …. I come across a book which appeals to both the logical and illogical parts of my makeup, and this is one of them.

Daniel Matt’s Kabbalah credentials are impeccable. He has written several books on the Kabbalah, and is the translator and commentator of the prestigious Pritzker Edition of the Zohar in English, the primary document of Kabbalah. While he is not a scientist by profession, he is a professor at Berkeley, so will be totally au fait with the rigours of academic study.

If I had the means, I would make this book available to every theologian and scientist in the world. I would also make it available to every atheist, because it explains the concept of “god” in such terms that even an atheist would comprehend the concept behind the word. Words are mere symbols, they are sounds that represent something. Sometimes the word gets too bound up in past concepts that they lose credibility, and this could be the case for many people with the word “god” ! But if we can get past the outdated imagery of the word symbol “god” as some sort of grey haired father figure in the sky, and see it as that which was there before the Big Bang, we can see how science and mysticism are really seeking the same end. And the Jewish Kabbalah is a system of mysticism that truly can be brought into harmony with modern scientific thinking. I think Dan Matt has achieved his purpose with this book, and I wholeheartedly recommend a thoughtful read of this book to mystics, religious people and secularists alike. Who knows …. a scientist reading this book may gain some earth shattering insight which will bring us closer to the scientific “theory of everything”.
on 30 December 1997
In our times, it's important to enjoy ourselves, and feel that we are in a beautiful and neverending world. You can feel it, when you raise the point between science and God, and you can see that, day by day, we are integrate our technology and our souls in one, and now we can realize this, seeing that with science, we can find our mind, body and universe toghether. With this book, you will feel more unit with the Divine and with the whole universe. !Don't miss it!
on 6 November 2016
For some one who clearly does not believe in God and the devine origin of tbe Torah, it is very rich writing a book entitled G-D and the big bang. I was very disappointed with this offering and immediately donated the book to a charity shop.
on 20 October 1997
Daniel Matt has written a book attempting to integrate modern physics and ancient theology. For his effort he comes up with a 20th century quantum version of deism -- the view that God started the universe and then walked away, leaving the clock (or the waves and particles) to fend for themselves. The trouble is that such a universe and such a God have nothing to say about ethics and even less to say about the practices we should engage in to enoble and sanctify our lives. What we are left with is a cold theology which sees God in energy and in matter, but not in the soul. Such a God is literally "no-thing." For a better attempt at a similar synthesis I would refer readers to Lawrence Kushner's "The River of Light."
on 3 July 1997
While perpetuating a few scientific myths such as "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" and Dyson's speculative open universe/evolving God, Matt actually uses this book primarily to expound the philosophy and theology of his personal brand of Jewish mysticism. The book is probably 80% Matt's personal, self-contradictory Kaballah handbook with 20% poor science thrown in for advertising value.
on 12 April 2016