Customer reviews

on 21 September 2014
This book provides excellent advice for someone wishing to work for themselves. It would also benefit someone who is already working for themselves and would like help on gaining and keeping customers.
Its clear Geoff is an expert in his field and provides a life time of wisdom for someone who needs to generate their own income.
I love the analogies, real stories and points to ponder which sum up the chapter making it easy to review over and over again as a check list to make sure you are on track, or rather the map Geoff uses to help plan your destination.
Unlike many business related books, this is an enjoyable read and I actually burst out laughing on several stories; Geoff is clearly a funny bloke.
I would highly recommend this book (i bought it on Kindle) although be warned: they are addictive, i also bought Resistance is Useless and Irresistible persuasion on audible as a result!
on 2 December 2004
I read a borrowed copy of this book back in 1997 when I was just 19 and it changed my life! Seriously, some of the many insights, such as, "You'll never be unemployed when you're self-employed - you may be broke - but never unemployed!", in this book have made a profound difference on how I've 'made my living' since.
There's no doubt that reading this book gave me the confidence to just go it alone and make my own way in the world! I left my job as an underpaid graphic designer and started my own business thanks to this book. It should be required reading for anyone just about leave school or college!
on 7 August 2006
This is a fabulous book - it was an inspiration and a comfort to setting up on my own. Self employment is a complete minefield and this book was a great reference and bible for all of the mysteries of working for yourself!
on 10 June 1999
If you are just about to embark on a new enterprise, or are thinking of setting up your own business, and you're sick of the usual, tame and un-original "business" books, trying to cash in on the latest "buzzwords" and trends, then this is the book for you.
Geoff Burch is a trainer, consultant and lecturer to the world's major blue-chip companies and has been called "an alternative business guru" and "the rebel with a cause". He is (in)famous for riding onto the stage on one of his huge motorcycles and for his hard hitting and practical approach to business success.
His sense of humour and fanatical passion for sales and marketing comes across beautifully in this book. His anecdotes and good advice will instil confidence in anyone; you just know that his ideas are going to work.
Although this book is entertaining, it certainly wasn't written just to entertain. Geoff's favourite saying taken from John Cleese (Monty Python) is, "You don't have to be sombre to be serious", This book is easy to read and will change your attitude towards business and marketing forever.
on 29 August 2006
Brilliant book! This book spoke to me as if I had Geoff with me as my personal teacher. His wealth of experience coupled with his ability to communicate practical business ideas inspired me to get up and make positive changes. My business has benefited as a direct result of reading this book and so has my personal life. This is a must read for anyone who wants to make positive changes to their life.
on 5 September 2017
A very useful guide - realistic, pragmatic and informative. Some real gems in here and a book I have already recommended multiple times to friends whilst reading it.
on 24 February 2007
I read it once and I'll read it again and take notes!!! It gets you fired up for starting out on your own it will motivate you and change your mindset. He knows your probably starting up out of your back bedroom and shows you where not to waste your time and money and what to do to ensure success. Most of all he believes in you. I cannot speak highly enough about it.
on 22 October 2007
I've been self-employed for about 3 years now, but this book has been a revelation. I wish I'd found it earlier. It's really helped me get to grips with selling and changed my attitude toward it completely. If you're thinking of setting up on your own or have just done so, buy this book and read it as soon as you can.
on 8 May 2010
If you weren't thinking of becoming self-employed before, then you probably will be afterwards. This inspiring book is well written, easy to read, and can be put down and picked up at leisure.
Burch talks about his experiences in business, and other peoples experiences in business, both businesses that he's come accross as a consumer, and businesses that he's helped.

A great read for anyone remotley interested in business!
on 16 February 2004
I picked up this book whilst idly browsing one day - boy am I glad I did! It's witty, humorous and anecdotal. It won't tell you the ins and outs of being self-employed but it will tell you what it's like. Thoroughly recommended.