on 4 March 2017
For anyone, flight deck or cabin crew, who flew in the fifties, sixties and possibly the seventies this is a delightful read. It has many of the best stories, and acts as a good reminder for those of us who may have forgotten what those halcyon days were like. It is clear that the airline crews, working before the age of mass airline travel, were a privileged group. Today's crews, often exhausted and working at a far greater pace, will read this book with envy.
on 28 October 2009
Having been a Stewardess with BOAC from 1954 to 1958 I found this an enthralling book, hugely interesting and entertaining as well as being a valuable historical record of an amazing time. The Author captures perfectly the FUN it all was - every trip was an adventure and we all felt this. It is beautifully written and a real page-turner irrespective of whether you have been involved in airlines. I could not put it down.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it brought back so many memories. I was flying with B.O.A.C. in the 60's and it was so different from flying today. It was an opportunity to see the world and meet interesting people at the same time. Unfortunately now the elegance has disappeared.
on 19 January 2010
Excellent product bought as a present and can tell you it has brought back lots of happy memories, absolutely thrilled with content and pictures. This is told as it was without any embellishment. If there has to be one criticism that is the font could have been a little larger or at least in a different bolder typeface to make the words much clearer.
on 16 November 2011
This was, for me, a wonderful trip down memory lane. As a stewardess with BOAC in the 60s I could totally relate to the anecdotes and descriptions of flying as it was in those days. Getting into BOAC was extremely difficult as they required attractive personable girls with intelligence and a knowledge of nursing, catering or languages. One had to look good but also have the skills to deal with difficult people, foreign customs and religions. We were well rehearsed in emergency procedures and certainly had to be diplomatic in many situations. The job was high prestige at the time and I considered myself lucky to be with an international airline. This book captures perfectly this golden age of flying and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There one or two mistakes regarding uniform but by and large it is accurate and hugely enjoyable to anyone interested in flying. This was an age when the words trolley dollies had not been thought of and would have been totally inappropriate!
on 30 April 2013
I just could not put this book down. I was a stewardess in the 60's and early 70's although not for British Airways (BOAC as it was). I could have written most of it myself through experience.
I have ordered several copies for old flying friends. Well done to the writers and contributers to this book.
on 13 January 2013
Libbie Escolme-Schmidt hits the nail on the head with this book. She beuatifully captures the feeling of what it would have been like to have been in the Flying Business in the 50s and 60s. I found myself reading parts of it over and over again beciase it was so easy to read and so intelligently composed. She really knows how to recall a time long ago and I felt inspired by her stories of events that I am so familiar with being in the profession in 2013. A lot has changed but a lot of it is still exactly the same. She finds the balance and gets it so right in this book.

Beauregard Fielding NZ
on 17 July 2009
A lovely book, tells us "how it was", when air travel was enjoyable.
How social manners meant something and people could be nice to others.
Look where we are now ! and they say things improve...

Do buy this bok, I suspect it wont be around long, as many dont like to be reminded how good some parts of The Good Old Days were, Vs where we have gone.

Its simple proof of how our social structure has fallen apart, if you enjoy social history and air travel you will love this book.
on 9 December 2012
An excellent book that deals with not only the training and experience of cabin crew but also details a lot of operational background. It's a well written and broad insight into the high standards set by BEA,BOAC and latterly British Airways. This book should be of great interest to anyone interested in or connected with commercial aviation.
on 3 July 2014
As ex crew myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this fun and truthful account of life as cabin crew. So many of this genre are "written" by disaffected budget airline crew. This reflects a more golden age which can still be found if as a paying passenger you are prepared to pay for premium service.