on 1 August 2015
Not serious adult reading. Not sure I really wanted to finish it, but did. An unlikely scenario, a young slave used as bodyguard to a young patrician lady, a close relative of Caesar to be married to Pompey. He manages to fend off all sorts of villainous attacks on the lady and Caesar, at one time defeating three adult street fighters. It does require a suspension of belief, particularly when you consider the characters involved - Caesar, Pompey, Cicero and Crassus - the four most important men in Rome at the time. The political plotting and machinations are interesting as is the use of the Rome street gangs and while it is well written and easy to read it comes nowhere near the Macro and Cato series. I will not buy any more in the series. I even thought of giving it two stars.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 August 2017
Having read the book to make sure it was suitable for the intended person (I got it as a gift for my nephew), I found this to be an excellent book for the age range intended and a good book for adults looking for some light reading. A great second book in the series.
on 18 November 2017
A bit disappointing, the plot has some very unlikely and contrived twists, which quite frankly ruined it a bit for me Normally Simon writes well but he struggled with this in my view
on 18 July 2017
Husbands reading material loves them
on 24 August 2017
Excellent book in good condition. Makes an excellent addition overall to my own book collection
on 25 September 2017
I am enjoying this series more as it continues. As always, good story very well written. I was particularly impressed with the conclusion!
on 20 September 2017
really good could not get my head out of it. this is the second book in the series both No.1and 2 are amazing
on 12 December 2017
very interesting and keeps you enthralled.
it is full of action and gives you a feeling or what it was like To live in that period.
on 2 January 2015
superb series
on 6 July 2012
I eagerly awaited this sequel to Simon Scarrow's young adult "Gladiator: Fight for Freedom". Read that one first if you found this before that one. I thoroughly recommend it and this sequel.

Here is a great tale of Roman life and intrigue as Marcus, the young hero trained in a gladiator school after being enslaved by treachery, is now the slave of Gaius Julius Caesar - yes, that Julius Caesar. Thus we witness the machinations as the triumvirate shows its strains in the last days of the Roman republic.

Although this is a much written about period of Roman history, I cannot off-hand think of any treatment of the time for young adults, so this is a great book both because it is educational, but more importantly it is a great story. There is treachery, violence, and also friendships. There are gangs and political scheming, and at the heart of it an engaging tale of a boy struggling and fighting for his freedom, so that he can return and save his mother from slavery.

I thoroughly recommend this book. Perhaps a little more violent than the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence, this is nevertheless an excellent work that should definitely appeal to young adults and adults alike.