on 16 November 2015
I wrote a good review after I had had the book for a little while. But now I've got used to using git I hate this book and changed my review.
The only reason I thought it was good was because I didn't understand git. This book is unnecessarily complicated, and quite often actually misleading because of the way it phrases things. It is neither a good introduction to git, nor a good overview of git's ethos, nor a cook-book, nor a detailed how-to. It is a little of each, but not good at any.
The how-to's won't be exactly what you want, and their explinations will leave out enough detail to be dangerous. Twice I've lost my days work, and gone on-line to find out how to retreive it... that's a bit too ironic for my taste, especially at 2am.
It does contain a list of commands, but those references just point to pages that mention the command in some other context.
I remember spending an hour trying to figure out how to go back to the last commit without removing that commit, and ended up loosing my work. There are several ways but I just couldn't be sure what the differences were. Eventually I googled it and all became clear in 5mins.
If you know what you are doing already you can get excellent git command details and how-to's online.
If you want to understand git this book will slow you down; buy a more complete book instead.
on 14 December 2014
Maybe 2 is harsh - but 3 OK is too generous - so 2-and-a-half. The free online material - the Pro Git pdf and others - is better. I think a lot of readers will be in the spot where I was, where I was familiar with git having used every other SM for years and years, and wanted an "instant up-to-speed" to use Git in serious anger on a new all-git contract. This book was no help, but the online material eventually got me up the curve, with help from patient friends.
on 18 July 2017
Good little pocket guide
on 13 November 2013
It doesn't matter if you're a developer, student od DevOps sysadmin ( as I am ). This book should be first thing which you'll read before touching git. Only thing missing are different workflows examples ( especially with pull requests ).
on 21 August 2014
Not *just* a pocket guide but *also* the clearest presentation of Git in any of the several books I have read. The author writes clearly; describing, at a high level, the concepts and commands together with a lot of useful details. The book also has a useful "How do I?" Section with more than 20 common recipes. Many authors have succeeded in presenting Git as a confusing mess. This author is almost unique in his ability to manage the presentation of Git in a series of simple chunks with relevant and useful examples.
on 6 July 2014
this isn't quite Git for Dummies, which is what I'd have liked. The primary fault lies in the way terminology is used and not really explained properly ... take "check out": to me this suggests "checking out" a book, in which case you have the book and no-one else can use it. But "checking out" a git repository appears to mean copying the files from a remote git repository to your own local one... leaving others the possibility of "checking it out" too. And it also appears to be different from "cloning"... and possibly different from "pulling". But could you please explain a bit more?
I suspect that if I read this book 3 times and keep experimenting I'll get the hang of Git. And this book has 3 merits: 1) there don't appear to be any rivals of the "Git for Dummies" type; 2) it is (at the time of writing, mid-2014) recent enough for most of the commands to work as outlined in the book; 3) CHEEEEEEEAP!!!!